With fall hunting seasons on the horizon, Ruger has announced its latest bolt-action rifle product: the Ruger American Rimfire. Combining the success of the center-fire Ruger American Rifle and the popularity of the .22 LR cartridge, the American Rimfire is meant to offer hunters and target shooters alike a "best of both worlds" firearm.
The rifle incorporates many of the features made standard to the American Rifle-recipient of American Rifleman's 2013 Golden Bullseye Award for rifle of the year-and combines them with the innovations that have long made Ruger's 10/22 platform an American icon. The rifle's .22 LR model features a detachable, flush mounted 10/22 BX-1 10-round rotary magazine, and can utilize the 10/22's popular BX-25 and BX-252 models as well.
We got an early look at the Ruger American Rimfire, and saw it in action at Gunsite Academy. You can get a closer look with the video embedded below.
Features New to the American Rimfire:
• Modular Stock System: Each Ruger American Rimfire rifle includes two, interchangeable stock modules that provide comb height options for scope or iron sight use. Standard models come with long length of pull modules, while compact models come with short length of pull modules.
• Models chambered in .22 LR feature the detachable, flush mounted 10/22 BX-1 10-round rotary magazines. Accepts all 10/22 magazines, including the BX-25 and BX-25x2. Models chambered in .22 Magnum use the detachable, flush-mounted JMX-1 9-round rotary magazine.
• Easy-to-use 10/22-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss magazine removal.
• Satin blued, target-crowned, hammer-forged barrel, results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning.
• A 3/8" rimfire scope base is machined into the receiver, which is also drilled and tapped for Weaver No. 12 bases (not included).
• 60-degree bolt provides ample scope clearance, while easy-to-use receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.
• Also Includes: fiber optic front and 10/22-style adjustable, "V" slot, folding-leaf rear sight; sling swivel studs.
• The rifle will be available in both a full-sized (22" barrel, 13.75" LOP) and compact (18" barrel, 12.50" LOP) model. Each will be available in either .22 LR or .22 Mag.
For more information, go to Ruger.com or check out the video below.