Handguns > Semi-Auto

Honing the Concealed-Carry Mindset

Carrying a gun for self-defense requires the proper mindset.

10/10/2012

We live in an amazing modern world of turn-key solutions. Especially in America, we have an astounding variety of tools, technology and instant access to information at our finger tips for solving our day-to-day problems. While many of these assets are convenient, they can make us mentally lazy if we let them. We could start to think that being in possession of the "right" or "best" equipment will solve our problems for us. To help shake off this mass media languor, here are a few tips to consider when sharpening up your concealed-carry mindset:

Concealed Firearms Do Not Make Us "Safe"
When was the last time you heard someone say, "I am so glad to have my driver's license, a good set of seat belts and air bags in my car. Now I can drive down that iced-over canyon road as fast as I want." Most of us would agree that driving with this kind of attitude is both impractical and dangerous. Instead, when we think of automotive safety, we look to defensive driving techniques to keep us safe. It’s understood that devices like seat belts and air bags are the last line of defense, not the first. Drivers around the world get to their destinations safely each day, not because of the equipment in their car, but because of their good driving habits.

This practice-good-habits approach should be applied to carrying a concealed handgun as well. One bad habit in particular that can get folks into trouble when carrying, just as when driving, is a lack of situational awareness. Just as the finest set of automotive brakes will not prevent a crash if not applied in time, the very best defensive gear is practically useless if we’re mentally asleep at the wheel. Cues to dangerous situations will present themselves if we're paying attention. Carrying a concealed firearm does not prevent danger or cause threats to swerve out of our way (it is concealed, after all). Instead, we need to pay attention and steer clear of potential dangers.

Move Away, and Stay Away, From Danger
It was my first time inside of a live-fire simulator. The instructor explained that this portion of the cinderblock structure was staged to represent a long household hallway leading to a bedroom. The plan was to move forward to the bedroom as I engaged targets, representing threats, along the way. My adrenaline was pumping and my head was swimming with all of the newly learned tactics I needed to apply.

When we reached and completed the final room in the simulator, the instructor asked me some interesting questions. Where was the threat in this room? In the back left corner. Where did you originally engage the threat with your pistol? From the hallway while I was using the door frame as cover. Where are you standing now? In the back left corner of the room. So why, exactly, did you rush forward toward the threat and leave the protection of cover? I didn't know then, but I do now.

Behaviors shown on TV and in movies can creep into our self-defense tactics. We are constantly bombarded with images of law enforcement personnel, soldiers and action movie heroes bravely running into danger. While this forward motion makes for an exciting screen play, it’s foolish in real-life situations. As soon as a threat is identified, a self-defender should be moving away from it and to cover. Once there, stay behind cover until the threat is neutralized or until forced to move to new or better cover. Generally speaking, moving away from the threat, and staying away, is the best choice.

Defensive Firearms Provide Options, Not Solutions
This point is best illustrated by a story I heard years ago from the woman who experienced it. For the sake of this telling, we'll call her Jane. Jane and her husband ran a small gun store downtown. She was walking out to her car from an indoor shopping mall when she stopped, turned around and went back. A group of tough looking young men was loitering right next to the driver’s side door of her car. This made her very uncomfortable, especially since it was known around town that she and her husband often transported firearms for their business.

Jane walked the mall for a few minutes until she found Fred, a uniformed security guard and a family friend. Jane explained the situation and asked if Fred would walk out with her to the car. Fred looked annoyed, rolled his eyes and asked Jane if she had left her concealed-carry handgun at home. No, Jane had it right there in her purse. Fred’s reply was, "Then what do you need me for?" Jane remained firm in her request until Fred walked her out. As they approached the vehicle, the young men disbanded and moved away. Jane thanked Fred, drove safely away and was perfectly happy never knowing what the intentions of those men might have been.

Fred and Jane had important differences in their defensive mindset. Fred treated Jane's handgun like it was a solution to the problem. Of course, Jane could boldly wade into the hooligans around her car because she could protect herself, right? Jane, on the other hand, understood the truth of the situation: Choosing to walk into a close-range gun fight is a bad idea—if it can be avoided. She had given herself additional choices by using situational awareness. Having a concealed handgun provided her with a powerful defensive option if forced to fight, but there were better, less dangerous solutions at hand. She could wait for the men to go away, call someone to pick her up or find a security guard to walk her out to the car to neutralize a potential conflict.  Remember, lethal force is always the last option.

There Is No “Best” Defensive Handgun
When I got serious about defensive shooting, I did what many other shooters do and started on my own personal quest for the “Holy Grail of Handguns.” You know that handgun, right? The Grail is small enough to carry comfortably, but big enough to shoot accurately. It’s loaded with technically advanced features, but utterly reliable. It has massive knock-down power, but the felt recoil of a baby's burp... and so on.

This search has led to the enjoyment of shooting a variety of handguns, but the elusive Grail has yet to appear. Recognizing the absence of absolute shooting perfection is important for a few reasons. It's OK for shooters to seek out the handgun that's the best fit for their personal needs, even if the guy behind the gun counter gives them a hard time about it. You may choose to sacrifice grip size for easier concealment, stopping power for reduced recoil or ammunition capacity for simpler operation. Trust what your instincts tell you when test firing the guns you're thinking of buying. A reliable handgun carried daily, practiced with regularly and shot accurately, will always be the best defensive handgun on the market.

Acknowledging that every handgun has limitations allows the operator to plan and practice accordingly. How many reloads should be carried? Will changing the ammunition improve accuracy or reduce recoil? Is the practical accuracy of this pistol (when I'm shooting it) 7 yards or 15 yards? These are the kinds of questions to be thinking about. Finally, it's important to recognize that no handgun and ammunition combination is guaranteed to do what you want it to do, right when you want it to get done. A “Plan B” should be kept handy in case the handgun jams, fails to stop the threat or in case a dangerous situation does not justify the use of lethal force.

Comments

62 Responses to Honing the Concealed-Carry Mindset

Roy Creiglow wrote:
June 28, 2013

Well folks, I let my wife choose the weapon of choice for us to carry CC. It is the Ruger LCR in 38spl+p. Easy to conceal good power and she is perfectly comfy with it. The reason I carry the same is that we have extra ammo for each other. If I am going out by my self, I ma carry My RIA Commander, and I really like it, although it is a little heavy, you get used to it very quickly. So many will think this is not the best weapon of choice, they are not the one carrying it, and do not have to be comfortable with it. My Wiife can put about 50 rounds of 148 gr full WC through it before tiring, and she suffers from arthritis. All in all, it suits our needs. Another thing to mention, is that since our CC class, we have become more apparent of our surroundings than before, and are more vigilant in when and where we go. Choose your weapon and fire it often for practice, not to just shoot at cardboard. Aim for CM, and mean to hit it. BTW, My wife is 72 and a gold medal shooter in both pistol and rifle. Have fun and be safe.

AZPaul wrote:
June 16, 2013

My advice also is, I don't care how your carry your CCW, holster, pocket or clip, or what caliber. Just carry, a gun at home doesn't do any good out in public.

seo service wrote:
May 27, 2013

lHTsyC Hey, thanks for the post.Really looking forward to read more. Great.

best compact digital cameras wrote:
May 14, 2013

2Z8GMm I really liked your blog article.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

Vernard Johnson wrote:
April 14, 2013

S&W M&P 40 cal

Mr.Don wrote:
February 26, 2013

Kudos to those of you who chose the most conservative approach..avoiding the conflict. For those of you who are searching for the ideal weapon..you missed the point and actually have about a 18 [%] chance of hitting your target in a real shoot out. Good luck!

Seamus wrote:
November 27, 2012

The hallway point is that we are not police. Pulling your weapon is the last the last thing you want. When I applied for my ccw in calif, situational awareness, and the hope that using my weapon would never happen we're I believe the reason that my ccw was granted.

Ralph wrote:
November 21, 2012

YOu can't just strap a gun and forget about even if you are licensed. You need to plan your route to make sure to avoid fines and expensive lawyer for a violation of a concealed carry law. so, you have to be on the ball at all times or pay the price.

Greg wrote:
November 19, 2012

If you want a small pistol in a big caliber, consider the Springfield XDs .45 ACP. 1" thick, 4.5" tall, and 22 ounces.

Norm wrote:
November 14, 2012

Read this excellent essay from the AR-15 forum by "BurnedOutLeo" re who you might face and how to respond. http://is.gd/zSqJeT

Jim wrote:
November 11, 2012

I am starting to seek out a hand gun to conceal as well as a good heavy gauge home defense weapon when I came across this article and the commentary. I feel as though a light came on and now I have a different mindset as to what should come first in our approach to personal defense. It has been quite a few years since I or my wife have handled guns of different types. Thank all of you for your opinions and experiences. We will now re-adjust our approach and begin as "babes in the woods" with proper training and attitudes.

lmb wrote:
October 22, 2012

Thomas, am I missing something about the FDIC/bank reference? I that in some states, NC for example, banks are on the do not carry list, but not in all states. Can you expand on what you were referring to? (or anybody else who might have some input here)

Brenda wrote:
October 21, 2012

Yes, you must be prepared to shoot if you ever feel the need to use your gun on ANYONE! I have the training, the mind set and decision making, as well as my license to carry AND where I feel a need to carry a firearm, WHEN it is permissible. I don't carry in schools, banks,or any restricted areas, such as federal property,etc. These are laws that still apply to everyone. My late husband taught me how to shoot with his 357 Magnum. I missed only one target first time. I had never held a gun before THAT DAY, in my life! Until I met him,I was a fearful of firearms. He taught me and later our son to respect firearms. The responsibility of having a gun. Not only to be aware of your surroundings at all times, but what can happen if you feel the need to protect yourself and/or your family from bodily or deadly harm. This does not always require you to kill a perpetrator but allows you to PROTECT yourself, family and others around you,if circumstances are presented. I believe in mandatory background checks should always be federal, as well as state. There will always be crimes, injustices, prejudices and more issues than I can begin to name. DON'T EVER THINK THAT KEEPING GUNS AWAY FROM LAW ABIDING CITIZENS IS THE SOLUTION! There will always be unfortunate misjudgements, and the over use of deadly force! The criminals have no problem getting their weapons! Why should the law abiding citizen not have that option?

Fred wrote:
October 21, 2012

SA is important, and should be in the back of your mind all the time. Automatically practising where you are in what conditions. SA should be practised until it happens without thinking.The next in importance is willingness. Your image to stand up will often deture bad ideas. Oh yeah, the gun, being familiar with colt python, 1911,Feg pjk, .38 super, colt agent .38, astra constable, walther p22, and several others, I carry a walther ppks .380 regularly and shoot it often. in my eyes, it fits and works. 2 extra mags, hp ammo. And the hope I never have to use it while being willing to do so.

Mike C wrote:
October 20, 2012

Jim K, I think the point that was being made in the hallway scenario was that he left cover to engage, instead of engaging from cover. He was surveying the room from the safety of the door frame, but instead of maintaining that cover, he rushed in to engage the target.

Ellen wrote:
October 20, 2012

Before anyone conceal and carrys a handgun, you need to know the laws of each state. you cannot conceal and carry in certain states. Also, take a gun safety course and conceal and carry classes.

thomas wrote:
October 20, 2012

I notice a lot of missing the point. Do me a favor, please , before going out to buy a gun to cary concelled cary your brain around out in the open frist. Then when you get back home ask your self witch places you whent to had sgins for no carry , witch ones had FDIC stickers, and for the ones that don't know what that is their money is federally insuerd, useally banks. And my point is if you don't know your not paying attention. It is not about the gun you carry it is about the brain you carry. A lot of times you can control a sittuation if you see it coming with out the use of your wepon, that should be the last resort , LIFE or DEATH. Period.

Vince wrote:
October 20, 2012

The best gun to carry is the one you are most comfortable with . I have been carrying my colt cobra 38 spc. for 43 years.

60mg wrote:
October 20, 2012

Who cares which one's better. As long as it doesn't jam it's fine with me (for the most part). I do hope to have my gun with me when I need it but I also pray HARD I don't ever have to use it (but I most definitely will if there are no more options left).

Joel wrote:
October 20, 2012

To the people who stated: "I'm not sure I'd be able to handle a concealed weapon." The truth is you will only be using it in a situation where there is no alternative. It's either use your weapon or be killed. If you don't want that to happen, I'd suggest you train and use the skills you have to the best of your ability and stop worrying if you will react perfectly. 99/100 conflicts can be avoided, so you're only preparing to help you survive the one that you can't avoid, and any effort put forth toward that goal is better than not even trying.

Jim Kent wrote:
October 20, 2012

Just like your American Express card.. Don't leave home without it

Ray Smith wrote:
October 20, 2012

Excellent analysis. Will send on to a couple of "newbies" for their perusal.

Chuck wrote:
October 20, 2012

Conceal carry mindset shouldn't differ from everyday situational awareness, or what i prefer to call discernment.Deciding on how to interact with people in all situations, whether hostile or friendly, whether armed or unarmed, is a good way to avoid potential encounters of the nasty kind. If unavoidable, think of those that would miss you if you were to fail to be victorious against lethal force brought against you, pray that God's will be done, and with righteous indignation, let your training kick in and take care of business. You can shake after the conflict is over but remain unshakable during the actual fight. Remember, they brought on the fight, and you have a God given right to defend.

Ann wrote:
October 20, 2012

I always tell my sons: 'those who think governs those who toil'. I this can be applied to defensive carry also ...'those who think governs the situation and live to tell about it'. Our brains and wise thinking are our best weapon and defense. On a side note...I carry a 1911 named Zion daily :)

John Coville wrote:
October 20, 2012

If we have to choose a combat range partner, I will go with Jim K. Nice analysis. Kahr K40. Every day. Form follows function. Never hesitate in the face of a lethal threat, mentally train for any possibility.

kenneth wrote:
October 19, 2012

GREAT ARTICLE... If you can walk away or diffuse a bad situation... rather than "Draw and Fire".. you will be better off in the long run. "Draw and Fire" only when absolutely necessary ...

Robert wrote:
October 19, 2012

Regarding the Holy Grail - Like you know what's, everyone has one and they are all pretty much the same when you get down to it. Heavy caliber, while it might have more stopping power, is plagued with other problems that make it a deal breaker for some. And besides, if the assailant is wearing vest then it doesn't matter how big a bullet you throw at him. I am a medium/small caliber believer. The point is you aren't out to KILL people, but stop them from killing YOU or your loved ones. Center mass, or if you are skilled, leg/knee is the best in those situations. Center mass does have potential to be deadly, but again, if you are good you can aim at a less deadly area. The point is to stop the assailant and if it takes 12 shots of .22 caliber to make him think twice about his murdering actions or one .45 to the shoulder, it doesn't matter. At the point when he decides that it's not in his best interest to continue the threat, you've won. Stay under cover and wait for LEO to sort things out (unless you are LEO and then I guess you go write a bunch of paperwork :) )

Scott wrote:
October 19, 2012

Your explanation of SAW was spot on. That is a technique that everyone should learn regardless if they are carrying, empty handed, whatever. Situational Awareness is key to staying safe in any aggressive situation. If you can learn to spot patterns and behaviors that are potentially dangerous then you have won half the battle. It's important to know what actions to take and when as well. As an example, in my city there has been a sharp increase in personal robberies. People are being robbed at knife point, gun point, or just intimidated in general much more now than a few years ago. This is happening in wide open areas with many witnesses and at all times of the day - even broad daylight. Yesterday, I was standing waiting for my train and I was holding tight to my backpack that contained some very expensive gear. As I was standing there I noticed a thuggish looking character start angling right at me. A quick calculation and it was obvious I was his intended target, despite him looking the entirely other way (yeah right). Now, I never take out my gear in public so there is no way for this punk to know what I had, but that didn't deter him. I instantly stepped away from where I was and angled away from him, putting a ticket machine between us. A quick look over my shoulder and I noticed standing right behind where I was (and where the other punk was heading) were two other punks just loitering DIRECTLY BEHIND ME. I realized at that point that I probably narrowly avoided being mugged. I immediately looked for a large group of people to lose myself in (good luck finding security) and counted myself lucky that I recognized that punks predatory behavior and avoided being another statistic. Situational Awareness is key to safety.

Kyle wrote:
October 19, 2012

Good article that starts to get after the art of concealed carry. Thanks for getting that out there

Hawkraptor wrote:
October 19, 2012

There is only one thing wrong with this. In a close-combat environment, movement is key, threats come from all angles, and staying behind cover for too long WILL get you killed, and a door frame is usually poor cover to begin with. Once the threat is eliminated, 360-degree awareness must be maintained, the environment constantly monitored for new threats, and movement most continue. Once you pull that trigger, your pursuers know exactly where you are. Staying in one place, whether behind cover or not, means they will find you, flank you and do what they will with you. Waiting until they force you to move is suicide. How do I know this? I'm a marine, That's how we were trained. One thing that is right: If you're in a close-combat situation, the best thing is to eliminate the threat and disengage, get out ASAP. Again, sticking around will eventually get you killed.

MartyH wrote:
October 19, 2012

The car analogy is applicable in other ways. While we know that driving safely is the best prevention, we (by innovation and regulation) continue to add safety features to the car. That's like seeking the Grail for our handgun. We will continue to do it even though it's the last line of defense.

James wrote:
October 19, 2012

In my opinion the 'BEST' carry gun is the one your most comfortable with. Are u comfortable with your accuracy? Are you comfortable with it on you if you are then that's the BEST carry gun for you my dad carried a LC9 i carry a 45 1911 monster gun BUT what matters is i feel comfortable with my 45 i can't stand small guns i don't like the way they feel on me or in my hands.

Caleb Tuttle wrote:
October 19, 2012

I carry the ruger lc9 ! Great carry gun but for home defense I use a s & w mp 40 both great guns lc9 is small enough to conceal and strong enough to get the job done buy I agree with everything n this article

October 19, 2012

Yep, got to say it is funny that most people seem to have only read the part about the "holy grail" firearm and missed the bigger point of the entire article! Situational Awareness is key, no matter the situation! All of the talk about the "holy grail" firearm doesn't mean anything if you don't have one (can't have one, i.e. places like courts, hospitals, schools, etc), you still need to be AWARE of the SITUATION! What if your firearm doesn't function, do you have a plan? What happens if you are injured and cannot shoot, what then? AND most of all, isn't it best not to have to shoot???

Myra wrote:
October 19, 2012

I am a believer that if and when the situation arises and time allows I will go to the furthest place away from the danger. I know my home...the intruder does not. Let them come to me...I have a surprise for them.

Ryan wrote:

I love my Glock 26. Easy to conceal and accurate

Jess wrote:
October 19, 2012

No matter who you ask, what they carry is the best. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. Same best advise never changes. Avoid any conflict you can. Carry what you can shoot the best and make good hits with, whether it is a .22 or 12 gauge. If it is too heavy or uncomfortable or too much hassle, you won't carry it. The new small pocket pistols with .380 defense loads are great to carry but take effort and training to shoot well. They can be more difficult than full size guns to shoot. Train train train and be aware at all times what is going on around you. And also know that carrying a gun does not make you superman nor a police officer. And get the advise of a good trainer or instructor about what gun to carry and make sure you shoot as many as possible first. Then get the advise of someone that has been carrying for a while as to how to carry. And don't take the advise of the internet ninja tacticool crowd. ANY gun that is with you is better than not having one.

JR wrote:
October 19, 2012

You can have the best gun in the world. But if you have nothing for brains and poor SA when danger rears it's head, you might not survive.

Jim K wrote:
October 19, 2012

I've got a question about the hallway / bedroom scenario. You see the bad guy AND you already have your weapon ready. IF you are going to engage the target, why would you run to look for cover instead of engaging the target right away? Once the person sees you, they have time to think, they can see what type of weapon you have, and they have time to out-think you. If you engage the hostile target as soon as you see it, you can clear the problem. If you're going to just run and wait for the police to get there (assuming you have that option and there aren't other family members in danger), then sure, run for cover and wait for help. But to not take the shot when you have the shot available so you can run to cover seems like standing there and putting on a bullet proof vest before you pick up your gun. Cover will only do so much for you. Especially inside a house where an armed bad guy can more than likely shoot through your door panels and walls anyways. I realize I don't have all the details from the training scenario you mentioned, so that's why I'm asking why you would recommend running for cover then trying to take the shot. A parking lot seems like a different situation than one where an armed hostile is inside your own home. Not trying to disagree with you, by the way, it's a sincere question. Thanks, and I really enjoyed the article. I found it through an NRA link / post on facebook.

BOB wrote:
October 19, 2012

LCP or Glock 27 carry .... depending on the area I'm heading to. XD 40 with a laser sight and Lawman JHP for around the home. And of course a Mossberg 500 pump just because !

KMHead wrote:
October 19, 2012

I "carry" Sabre Red pepper spray and a 200 lumens Scorpion X. If they do not work they give me a few seconds to grab my Colt .357 Magnum to finish the task.

MikeCanada wrote:
October 19, 2012

I really enjoyed this article. I love going out to a range for a few hours on the weekends. I'm confident in my skills, but I'm not sure how I would handle a concealed weapon. To be honest, I'm not sure, if put in a dangerous situation, that I'd know how to handle it. Unsure I'd have the discipline.

Cameron wrote:
October 19, 2012

Live in NV near the fairly recent House of Pancakes shooting in Carson City. Son in CO where the movie theater incident occurred. I agree with defensive mindset, but there is room for protecting innocent lives in increasingly frequent, although rare mass violence events. Friends are avid Front-Site members/visitors. In talking with and shooting with them, there is no substitute for proper tactical training and practice. Becoming proficient with the weapon regardless of brand/style is priority #2, right behind situational awareness/decision-making under duress. I was told once when I started shooting photography "the difference between a good photographer and a novice is the number of pictures taken". I intend to apply that principal to handgun proficiency as well, in conjunction with continuous training. Good article.

Jim wrote:
October 16, 2012

I carry the ruger LCP, ITS ENOUGH to get me out of trouble. When the shooting starts the bad guys and myself are the first to get out of there. For home defense I have firearms with knock down power.

TNDefender wrote:
October 16, 2012

Look at CrossBreedHolster for a holster like the one above.

Moose wrote:
October 16, 2012

Situational awareness, choice of action/reaction, cover, etc. are more important than packing what feels good. Wherever I am, my primary weapon (my brain) is always surveying the surrounding and setting the stage for "what it" scenarios. As a former LEO, keeping a cool head is first; if the situation goes south, training, conditioning and motor skills get called to the front. No super-hero complex here!

Ray wrote:
October 16, 2012

Great eye-opening article. Situational awareness is priority ONE. I have carried a KelTec P-40 for 15 years. Only ever had it unholstered once while I got clear of a dangerous situation. If KelTec still made the P40, I would have a spare. Thanks for a great website.

dugo wrote:
October 16, 2012

Interesting that even after Hawley's pointed comment, the conversation still wants to go back to what to carry, rather than How To Think. Guess it is more fun to BUY something that makes us FEEL safe than to examine our mentality and actually BE SAFER. Good luck with that if reality ever comes around to smack us in the face. Good article, even if not well considered by us who are having a hard time getting away from thinking of self-defense as if better TOYS would solve the problem.

joker18 wrote:
October 16, 2012

Good article. A follow-up about what to do should one ever have to retrieve one's weapon or God forbid, ever use one's weapon would also be very informative. One should never assume the police will roll up and instinctively know that you are the 'good guy!'

Dennis wrote:
October 16, 2012

The 'Grail' may be different depending on variables such as what type of clothing you are wearing, time of day, place of the confrontation, etc. The real point is 'situational awareness', be aware of your surroundings and environment.

cold shooter wrote:
October 16, 2012

Dont know if you checked out the Kel-Tec 3AT, in .380. I like mine way better than my friend's Ruger LCP. Thank you for a very thoughtful article.

Hawley wrote:
October 15, 2012

Always, the comments go back to what gun is the best. The point of this article is to ram through everyone's heads that the wiser response is to get away from the threat so you can opt for some other strategy other than the "John Wayne" approach of confront, challenge and "duke it out" method. No one was talking about your favorite gun. That is the problem that causes difficulties with concealed carry. "I got a gun and I'm going to use it as my first alternative." NOT! A single LEO does not confront a multiple threat by himself. He calls in "back-up" to avoid deadly confrontation. I you just want to talk about what gun is is best, then you've missed the point of this article entirely. You need to move on to something less thought provoking.

Paul D. in Atl wrote:
October 15, 2012

I too, have a long list of perfect carry guns but am a few steps closer today than a month ago: Diamondback DB9 with 7 rnds of Hornady Critical Defense with a Handall Jr. and custom piece of Tennis Racquet grip... all weighing 16 ounces, 1 ounce more than Smith SC340 scandium with 5 rounds of Plus P. DB9 a lot easier to shoot accurately and +2 rounds, negligible weight. I won't shoot it often and shoot it to pieces, as it isn't designed to take thousands of rounds of beating, but will work for me.

catlow talon wrote:
October 15, 2012

Being an ex cop and polce firearms instructor, I still carry conceilled what I carried on my duty belt. Yes it is very heavy but you do get used to it rather quickly. It also is uncomfotable in the summer heat because I have to wear an oversize shirt. I suffer these things because I am totally confident in this pistol. It has kept me 'warm & fuzzy' through many confrontations in my previous line of work. It is not so small & light that I forget it's there. So I am constantly aware if I'm still concelled or the wind uncovered me or I'm 'printing' I get to carry on my right hip just like I have since I was 14. Yes I trade off some things from the list on the holly grail but guees what?. There ain't no such perfect animal and never will be. So.I sacrifice some comfort for a full size. Know what? I don't feel deprived,disadvantaged or in any way inferior.

Ken Allison wrote:
October 15, 2012

Had a Ruger LCP, sold it and bought a Sig P238. Same size, better made.

Tom Beardslee wrote:
October 15, 2012

I like my Kahr CW45 to fight my way back to the car and my Sig P220.

Mike Peach wrote:
October 15, 2012

I like the seat belt air bag comparison. I will use it in my classes.

Darrell wrote:
October 15, 2012

Anyone know the make of the holster in the picture at the beginning of the article??

Cecilio Mendez wrote:
October 15, 2012

After situational awareness and avoidance, the most important factor - if push comes to shove - is "shot placement." That requires supervised practice with your gun (the one you have on) and with your everyday "wearables." The closest thing to firearms holy grail are rifles and shotguns... but they are so difficult to conceal!

Dan H wrote:
October 15, 2012

IMO the best (gun) for self defense is the one you have with you

John Paradisi wrote:
October 11, 2012

Pete you are so right, I to carry a LCP! Have one in each caliber?

Pete wrote:
October 11, 2012

Been lookin' for that Grail for 40 years. In order, have carried Colt Combat Commander, Walther PPK, Colt Mustang, Glock 19, Seecamp .25, Beretta Tomcat, Smith & Wesson 642, and now a Ruger LCP. Every one was either too big or too small. But the Ruger is the closest I have come to being big enough to matter and small enough to carry.