Shotguns

Smith & Wesson Model 1000 Shotgun

From the Dope Bag Archives: June, 1974.

June, 1974

Smith & Wesson is well known for high-quality handguns, but it is not generally known that this firm also produced shotguns. Double-barrel shotguns by this famous maker were discontinued about a century ago. However, the Springfield, Mass. firm reentered the shotgun market last year with two repeaters, the principal one being a gas-operated autoloader called the Model 1000.

Designed for field use, the Model 1000 is offered in 12-ga. only; with choice of various barrel lengths and chokes. It has a 2 ¾” chamber and fires standard and magnum 2 ¾” shells without adjustment.

This gun is produced for Smith & Wesson by Howa Machinery, Ltd., Nagoya, Japan. It was developed by Howa and has some minor modifications made by Smith & Wesson engineers.

As usual with gas-operated shotguns, the gas mechanism of the Model 1000 is in the front of the magazine tube, which is concealed by the fore-end. The barrel is fixed during firing, but can be removed easily without use of tools by following the well-written instructions furnished with the gun. This facilitates cleaning and permits changing of barrels. Spare interchangeable barrels with various lengths and chokes are available at extra cost.

Operation is by means of a short-stroke, floating hollow piston designed to give a prolonged push instead of a hammer-like blow. (For detailed explanation of this system, see Question and Answer “M14 Gas Cylinder,” The American Rifleman, Feb., 1963, page 64.)

Powder gas enters the hollow piston through a piston hole aligned with two ports in the barrel, and fills the space within the piston and cylinder. Initial movement of the piston takes the piston hole out of alignment with the gas ports and prevents further entry of gas. The trapped gas expands and drives the piston, piston connector ring, action bar assembly, and breechbolt base rearward. After these parts are driven back approximately 3/8”, the breechbolt base cams the locking block in the breechbolt downward out of engagement with the barrel extension. This gives time for the pressure in the barrel to drop before unlocking occurs.

When the piston hole aligns with the gas-escape slot in the cylinder, gas used to operate the mechanism is exhausted upward through two slots in the top of the fore-end. The piston and connector ring are stopped after 1-3/16” travel, but the action bar assembly and unlocked breechbolt continue to the rear until the fired shell is extracted and ejected. The rearward moving breechbolt cocks the hammer and compresses the action spring in the Buttstock. As the breechbolt is driven forward, it chambers a loaded shell.

A highly-desirable feature of the Model 1000 is its pressure-compensator valve assembly designed to stabilize variations in gas port pressures and thereby adapt the gun to a wide range of loads. Located in the front end of the gas cylinder, this valve assembly has a tough, springy plastic piece between two cylindrical metal parts. Gas pressure causes the plastic piece to be compressed according to the amount of pressure exerted, and thus varies the amount of space for gas expansion.

As with most semi-automatic shotguns, shells are loaded into the magazine through a port in the receiver bottom. A magazine capacity pin extending laterally through the magazine tube reduces total capacity of the gun to three shots as required by Federal Migratory Bird Regulations. Removing this pin increases the magazine capacity to three shells or total capacity of the gun to four. The gas system at the front of the magazine limits its capacity to three rounds although the total length of the tube and fore-end are quite long.

The crossbolt safety in the rear of the trigger guard has a red band that is exposed when the safety is disengaged. It can easily be reversed for left-handed use by following instructions provided with the gun.

A ventilated barrel rib fitted with front and mid-rib metal beads is a standard feature of the Model 1000. The rib is 5/16” wide and is finely checkered to reduce glare. The receiver top in line with the rib is finely grooved.

The gun has pleasing lines and a generally attractive appearance. Both stock and fore-end are well-figured, dark brown walnut with a high-gloss polyurethane finish. Cut checkering on the pistol grip and fore-end is about 20 lines per inch and of generally excellent quality. Fitted to the stock are a black plastic buttplate and grip cap separate from the wood by white plastic spacers. A round plastic inlay in the grip cap bears the Smith & Wesson monogram in silver-color letters on a blue field.

Made of aluminum alloy, the receiver and trigger guard have a black-anodized finish. The steel barrel is finished in a high-luster blue. The breechbolt assembly, trigger, and carrier are chrome plated. Both sides of the receiver are scroll engraved by an acid-etching process.

The Model 1000 shotgun evaluated by The American Rifleman Technical Staff has a 28” modified-choke barrel. This gun shows generally excellent workmanship and finish except that the hell of the buttplate projects slightly above the top of the stock. Also, some checkering in the border areas is not full depth and not quite as well executed as the rest of the checkering. This is a common fault even in many expensive custom guns.

Well proportioned, this gun points naturally, is easy to carry, and can be brought into action quickly. Point of balance is 7” forward of the trigger which makes the weight well distributed between the hands. Loading and unloading is easy, and the gun is convenient to use as a single-loader. The trigger pull weighs 4 ½ to 5 lbs. It has some creep, but this seems to have no adverse affect on the shooting.

The gun tested by the Technical Staff weighs only 6 ¾ lbs. which is light for a 12-ga. shotgun, especially for an autoloader. This is an advantage for an upland field gun where the gun is carried for long periods, but the lightness increases recoil. The recoil is not very great with light loads, and can be endured even in prolonged firing. It is much more pronounced, however, with heavy loads such as 3 ¾-dram equivalent. With magnum loads, recoil is severe. In firing 2 ¾” magnum loads, the heaviest for use in this gun, the computed recoil energy is 45 ft. lbs.

Approximately 475 light, medium, and heavy factory loads of several makes were fired in NRA tests of this gun, and there were only two malfunctions. One malfunction was a failure to chamber caused by the back of the shell swinging out to the right during feeding. The other was a failure of the breechbolt to latch in the open position after the last round in the gun was fired. Many loads firing during these tests were 2 ¾” magnums. Reloaded shells were also fired in the gun, and there were no malfunctions with them. During prolonged firing, the stock became slightly loose. This was easy to correct by removing the buttplate and tightening the back retainer bolt.

Tests for patterning were fired at 40 yds. using 3 ¾ dram equivalent factory loads with 1 ¼ ozs. No. 6 shot and plastic shot-container wads. The average pattern percentage or average number of pellet hits in a 30” circle was 67% for 10 shots, which corresponds to improved-modified choke results from this modified-choke gun. Distribution of pellet hits was only fairly even, with patchiness in many patterns. Point of impact at 40 yds. was 4.7” below point of hold.

Comments

52 Responses to Smith & Wesson Model 1000 Shotgun

Tim Brown wrote:
October 21, 2014

Is there a tube extension that will fit the 1000? I want to use it in 3 gun competition.

rich wrote:
October 18, 2014

Can you shoot steel shots out of a s&w model 1000T? And whats the 'T' for? It has a multi/ modified choke.

jim simpkins wrote:
August 20, 2014

Doc's gun shop Carrollton Tx is another great shop to have these guns worked on. Doc has been working on them forever

ben rodriquez wrote:
March 28, 2014

looking for a wood forearm casing for my smith and wession 12 gage 1000 shotgun. please help!

Mark Gonzales wrote:
March 24, 2014

I am looking for a modified or ic 2 3/4for my s&w 1000. If you know where to find one please let me know.

Ron wrote:
January 16, 2014

Jerry LSG in Comanche Texas is the one who knows all about these S&W shotguns I have sent both of mine to him to work on and now they cycle perfect. He has the original toing also.

salvador hernandez wrote:
January 14, 2014

ho much money would i let my shotgun 1000 model go for

tim wrote:
November 14, 2013

can i put a cantilevered scope base on the s&w 1000m or do i have to tap the gun for the base

jerry wrote:
November 08, 2013

I have a 1000M (magnum) 12 ga. that I purchased in the early 80's it has a 30 inch full choke barrel with 3 inch chamber. I would like to use it for trap/skeet shooting but cant get it to cycle target loads. I already replaced and cleaned up the gooed up piston shock absorber, also cleaned & oiled the bolt & trigger assy. it cycles 2.75 inch high brass duck/pheasant loads but will not cycle trap/skeet loads. The barrel in my gun has 1 gas port I have read on some of the blogs that the 2.75 inch chambered barrels have 2 gas ports. I wonder if replacing the barrel with one that has 2 gas ports would fix this issue, has anyone run into this before and where could I get a barrel?

Chuck wrote:
November 04, 2013

Hey Jon, I Have a SW barrel. It is 12g, 3' chamber, full choke, 30'

Jon wrote:
October 13, 2013

I need to know where I can get a barrel for my 1000 at I just bought this gun and the guy I bought it from cut the barrel off and I can't find one anywhere please let me know something please Thanks, jon

Gvhlawyer wrote:
August 03, 2013

To Bowdeadly: The 1000s, if a steel receiver, could well be a SuperSkeet - mine is a 1000S. Smith also made a 1000 SuperSport - which could also have an S after the 1000. I've never seen one, so can't say for sure. If the barrel of your gun is 25' long and has a vented Tula skeet choke at the end of the barrel, it is a SuperSkeet.

GvhLawyer wrote:
August 03, 2013

I now own three of these rather remarkable shotguns. I purchased the first in the late seventies and then sold it. Found an IC barrel for the Model 1000 in the garage and bought a gun to go with it - thirty years later! All three of my 12 gauge Model 1000's have been modernized with neoprene o-ring piston buffers (to replace the deadly rubber washer that S&W put in these guns and which eventually melted into black, gooey tar due to age and/or petroleum solvents, and which would then foul the gas action and magazine tube. Firing these guns without a proper piston buffer in place will damage the magazine tube. LSG manufacturing in Comanche Texas has modern, inert and chemical resistant o-rings that work great. One of my three guns is the amazing SuperSkeet - which is a rare find and a gorgeous gun with a ported Tula skeet choke built into the 25' barrel. These guns were built before the advent of 1 oz target loads, and have trouble cycling them if the gas system is dirty, and particularly if carbon has built-up in the gas ports. I regularly clean the gas ports with a 3/32 drill, and clean all parts of the gas system (piston, pressure compensator valve and mag tube) after every shoot. Cycling problems in these guns are nearly always attributable to gas system issues - dirt, carbon in the gas ports etc. I slightly enlarged the gas ports on my SuperSkeet (increased about 2 thousandths) to more reliably cycle the lighter loads, and it works great. I would not fire heavier loads in that gun, however. Long story short, of the three guns I purchased on Gubroker, all had melted black goo in the gas system and mag tube, and two had damaged mag tubes resulting from being fired without a piston buffer in place. The damage results from the pin that holds the piston to the sliding ring slamming into the rear of the slot in which it rides, and bellying-out the sides of the tube. Easy enough to fix with careful work with a file and 400 grit wet or dry paper if the damage is not too profound. These really are amazing and well-made shotguns which will run forever if you understand and deal with their quirks - mainly cleanliness and a proper piston buffer. Frank Smith at LSG Manufacturing is a former in-house S&W gunsmith who purchased most of the leftover parts inventory for these guns when he left and started his own company. He has a loyal following of very happy Model 1000 owners and can fix any problem with the gun. He even makes new magazine tubes when needed since no more are available. The standard Model 1000 is a very attractive, light, field shotgun made to very high quality standards by Howa of Japan.

SturdyBeggar wrote:
June 25, 2013

I have a S&W 1000 in 20 ga. It's a pretty little gun and always attracts attention. The modified choke was a little tight so I had a gunsmith open it up a bit. Not bragging, but I don't think I've missed a rabbit or pheasant since tweaking the choke. Doves....that's another story.

BOWDEADLY wrote:
June 07, 2013

I own several 1000s and I just saw one for sale. It's a 1000s.Does any one know what the S stands for ? Thanks

William floyd wrote:
January 09, 2013

Can you still but parts for this gun. I've had one for thirty years.

woody w wrote:
January 06, 2013

Bought my 30" full choke 1000 in late 70's. Actually shot many ducks and doves with great success using high brass shells. Lightest gun I've ever owned and win at least one turkey every year at the Exchange Club shoot.

Joe wrote:
December 10, 2012

Does anyone know how to remove the firing pin

Tony F. wrote:
December 05, 2012

I have owned my S&W1000 since about 1984. The book says it only came in 2.75 inch chamber, but mine is 3" and it has always been a fantastic shooting gun. Lite,swings easy, never jams still looks like it just came from the box.

Richard Wilson wrote:
November 14, 2012

Looking for a Rifled shot gun BBL for my S&W 1000

ted wrote:
November 14, 2012

I have 2 model 1000 there great guns just clean them and they work great, I have 5000 rounds thru one still woks great

Mike A. wrote:
November 04, 2012

I was looking for info om SW 1000 20 gauge and found this. I shoot a lot diring dove season and have found that if i clean it every time after a shoot it ejects fine, use a q tip with solvent in port holes and also have to use high brass, but it shoots fine and have had it 25 plus years

Tom wrote:
October 12, 2012

I purchased my Smith&Wesson model 1000 used, in the 1980's. They must have made them in the past.

John Partain wrote:
September 23, 2012

It says in this article that model 1000 only comes in 12ga, but i own a model 1000 20ga 2-3/4 imp cyl. I have shot lots of rounds hunting and target shooting. Still my favorite gun to take out

Robert Keith wrote:
September 23, 2012

My S&W model 1000 is having these common issues with the disintegrating O ring, and I believe the tube is now damaged. Des anyone know where I can but just the tube? Several sites have the tube assembly for around $140 but I don't need the entire assembly, just a tube and I can replace the O ring and reuse the piston,spring and plug. Please advise.

Chuck M wrote:
September 11, 2012

S&W 1000 jaming info: 1. Never use WD 40 - it will mix with powder in piston and turn into a tar like substance - clean with Hopes 9 and carbuerator cleaner after disasembling piston etc. Check 2 ports on barrel and make sure they are clear. The piston in these guns must be kept clean - use as little lubricant as possible. I have also noted with wear the magazine tube where cross pin hits at the bottom of the slot will swell and must be reworked so the external collar will not stick. I have a number of S&W 1000's and really like them.

clint wrote:
September 03, 2012

why is my shock absorber washer and piston shock absorber not staying in its place? After you shoot it it may be side ways inside the magazine tube(smith&wesson model 1000 12 ga. 2 3/4)

Dan wrote:
July 22, 2012

For parts give these people a call. http://www.lsgmfg.com/index.htm They bought up the last of S&W parts for this gun. Also the newer 1000 that S&W now manufactures prats are not interchangable. Would anybody know what my trigger will not work. It worked before cleaning but does not when reinstalled.

Mike Mallar wrote:
July 07, 2012

I purchase a discontinued Smith and Wesson 12 Gauge o/u from Cabela's. After using it in the field for 1 hour on a hunting trip to Prince Edward Island, it rusted even though I air dried the gun and tried to oil it immediately. They say the S&W would not stand behind the gun and fix the defective bluing problem. The safety also jammed. The worst example of a shotgun I have ever had the displeasure to own.

dustin wrote:
April 23, 2012

I have a model 1000 with a slightly bent barrel, which makes it tough to hit the pheasants! Where can I get a straight barrel?

jay wrote:
March 01, 2012

If you have problems with your model 1000 I'll give you some dollars for it.

jack wrote:
February 29, 2012

Can you tell me where I can purchase a butt plate for my model 1000.

Jim wrote:
February 20, 2012

I owned my 1000 since 1984.I have always needed to use high brass or the shells would jam. But now all shells jam .

wader wrote:
February 13, 2012

I had the same issue as not ejecting sheels. The problem is the "piston shock absorber", a rubber absorber that deteroates into goo over time. this slows down the action causing the problem. if you shoot a lo, it could even damage the mag tube. the replacement piece is less than $5 at gun parts co.

rdp6278 wrote:
January 31, 2012

I own a smith and wesson 12 ga when I shoot it sometimes it will not cock the hammer can someone tell me why.

George wrote:
January 29, 2012

I own a S&W 1000 gas. It will not eject the shells properly. Is there a gas cartridge that needs to be replaced or is there a simple adjustment that I can do to resolve this issue?

Rich wrote:
January 15, 2012

I have a mod. 1000 20ga. and i would like to find a scope mount like a b-square saddle mount can anyone help? thanks Rich

Big Bob wrote:
December 29, 2011

Moses, Your Gun is most likely "Jamming" because the rubber "Piston O ring" has deteriorated as they often do. Go to GUNPARTSCORP.com and find your model. There's a schematic. Order a new O-ring and you're back in business. Have Fun ! Bob

jacklee wrote:
December 28, 2011

Where can i find replacement parts for my 1000?

Moses Toledo wrote:
December 23, 2011

The article says smith and wesson model 1000 only in 12 ga . So not true I own a model 1000 in 20 ga. That jams and I need some help anyone with suggestions please let me know thanks.

Ethan wrote:
December 07, 2011

My grandfather passed this model down to me when I was 16 and am still using it today at age 45. Does anybody out there know where i can get a rifled slug barrel for it? Also....I came across a S&W Model 3000 12 Ga. pump with both barrels. Would the slug barrel interchange with the Model 1000?

Denny wrote:
December 04, 2011

I owne a smith&wesson 1000shot gun Witch has a 30" barrel and would like to find a 28" modifyed Barrel. Can you help!

Austin wrote:
November 30, 2011

Ive seen them for $240 in several auctions, including the one I bought mine at.

ted wrote:
September 29, 2011

I own 2 smith& wesson 1000 one is alloy receiver 2-3/4 bought new in 1982 $210 other is steel receiver 3" $250 new also have extra barrels, I shot about 4000 rds thru 2"3/4 shooting trap gun is great I love it

Jim wrote:
August 20, 2011

I just bought a new one, doesnt even look like its been shot, for $250.00 model 1100M 12 g 3"

sandy wrote:
July 23, 2011

I would like to know the value of the S/W model 1000 shotgun, 12 ga

Scott Johnston wrote:
May 30, 2011

I would like to know the value of S&W 1000?

tracy fowler wrote:
April 06, 2011

i would like to know the price of one ele. shape . thank you modle 1000 12ga smith&wesson

Dan Holt wrote:
March 27, 2011

I Would like to now the value of a smith/wesson,model 1000 shotgun,12g. Think You

Mark D wrote:
March 19, 2011

I own one one of these STILL IN THE BOX can anyone tell me what it is worth?

Francis Doherty wrote:
January 09, 2011

I own a late 1800 Smith and Wesson fallen block shot gun. Can anyone give me any information regarding this gun?

Ricky Kilburn wrote: