Handguns > Semi-Auto

Glock G42 .380 ACP Pocket Pistol

One of the most trusted defensive pistol brands, Glock, has released its first truly pocketable, single-stack .380 pistol.

For more than two decades, Glock has been recognized as a premier provider of service-size and self-defense, polymer-framed semi-automatics. The company enjoys a world-wide reputation for manufacturing reliable, durable and easy-to-operate pistols. For the most part, Glock has focused on developing handguns primarily for military and law enforcement use. But finally, after years of being hounded by operators and civilians alike, the company has released its first pocket pistol to the American market. It's a single-stack .380 ACP called the G42.

Shrinking an existing pistol platform into a pocket pistol is no mean feat of engineering. Many manufacturers don't even try. Instead, they often design a whole new gun (or borrow someone else’s design). So it is very interesting to see how the features of the G42 have been compressed and modified, and how much of the pistol remains the same as other Glock models. The G42 is not going to be marketed as a Gen4 product. However, examining it side-by-side with examples of Gen3 and Gen4 pistols confirmed that this new gun takes its feature cues from the latest generation.

G42 Features
The G42 pistol is built to the same exacting standards as the double-stack Glocks. It has that unmistakable signature look, only smaller. The G42 is 5.94-inches long, 4.13-inches high and weighs in at 13.8 ounces unloaded, making it the smallest Glock pistol to date. It's listed as being 0.94-inches wide but it’s only this thick near the slide catch. The rest of the frame averages 0.89 inches in width, with the slide being just 0.83-inches wide.

The slide is constructed of gas-nitrate-treated steel with a matte-black finish. The 3.25-inch barrel contains hexagonal rifling, which means it should be fired with jacketed ammunition. The sights consist of the factory standard polymer white-dot front, white-bracket rear. Internally, the pistol employs the same striker, short-recoil operated, locked-breech barrel and Safe-Action trigger system as its larger compatriots. One notable change to the interior is an enlarged firing pin safety plunger with an irregular shape and a beveled surface. The recoil assembly is of the Gen4 variety with dual recoil springs, a polymer guide rod and steel supports in key locations.

The polymer frame exhibits a mix of unique and familiar features. The slide catch, magazine release and take-down lever are in their expected locations and are actually the same size and shape as those found on the Gen4 pistols. However, the frame only has one pin instead of two. The grip frame has a Gen1-style straight frontstrap, with the backstrap featuring the usual palm swell. All four sides of the grip are treated with what could best be described as a light version of the Rough Texture grip treatment. It consists of the same small, raised, blunted pyramids but with a less aggressive surface.

The grip has a small, but distinctive, downward-curving beavertail to protect the shooter's hand from the slide. The backstrap extends down below the mouth of the magazine well, nearly flush with the flat base of the drop-free, fully metal lined, six-round, single-stack magazines. This extension makes the grip a little longer, a bit more rounded and it protects the shooter’s palm from being nibbled by the movement of the magazine base during recoil.

One of the best choices the company made with the G42 was to retain the familiar trigger guard and trigger dimensions of its larger pistols. Although the trigger guard is narrower from side to side, the length, shape, finger rest and size of the trigger opening remain the same. The trigger itself is the same size and shape as the smooth-faced triggers used on the Gen4 pistols, with the same 0.49-inch travel distance. As a result, the trigger feels perfectly familiar to those who already use Glock pistols. Proof marks on the slide, barrel and frame indicate that the G42 is made at Glock’s Smyrna, Ga., facility right here in the United States.

At the Range
At the shooting range, the G42 proved to be one of the most comfortable and softest shooting pocket .380s I've wrapped my hands around. Small .380s tend to produce moderate to intense levels of felt recoil, with some loads becoming downright uncomfortable to shoot after just a few rounds. The felt recoil produced by the G42 was mild with standard pressure full-metal-jacket and defense-grade ammunition. Only when it was loaded with the hottest ammunition in the test set did it start to produce a moderate level of recoil. Most pocket rockets arrive with minimal, hard-to-see sights, so the full-size sight picture provided by the Glock factory sights was a welcome improvement. Several members of the shooting range staff gave the G42 a try, and they agreed that it is definitely a low-recoil handgun.

The specifications for this pistol indicate that it’s supposed to leave the factory with a 5.56-pound trigger. A digital trigger gauge showed that although the trigger is smooth, it cycles with 7 pounds, 3 ounces of trigger pull. Is the trigger heavier than the standard weight because it needs to be broken in, because it’s one of the first samples off of the production line or did Glock install a heavier trigger connector than the one listed in the specification? Whatever the reason, the trigger was good, but not quite as good as it could be.

The G42 was test fired with as many.380 ammunition brands that could be acquired. When enough of a particular load was available to fire five, five-shot groups, it was included in the accuracy testing. Throughout the entire test, the pistol did not experience any of the traditional ammunition failures that can occur with semi-auto pistols, such as failures to feed, stove-piped cases or un-ejected cases lodged in the chamber.

The only two events that could be noted as malfunctions occurred when firing a high-velocity, 95-grain bullet load from DoubleTap Ammunition. Operating at velocities over 1,000 fps in pocket .380s, compared to around 880 fps with typical loads, this round caused the slide to lock open twice (as if the magazine was empty) when there were still rounds left to fire. In both cases, the chamber was clear and the next round in the magazine chambered when the slide was retracted and allowed to fall forward. This is the first time I've had a semi-auto pistol go into slide lock during a test fire. But since the G42 did not lock open with any other load, it seems that the increased pressure produced by this particular round was the source of the problem.

One of the reasons the double-stack Glock subcompacts are popular is because they are capable of producing downrange accuracy on par with the Glock Compact and Standard size pistols. Field tests of the Gen4 G30S (.45 ACP), G29 (10 mm), and the G33 (.357 Sig), all of which yield energetic levels of felt recoil, produced group averages hovering right around 3 inches in size when firing the pistols from a bench rest into targets placed at 25 yards.

The G42 did not demonstrate the same level of accuracy as the double-stack models, which was not wholly unexpected. Instead, the accuracy was in line with other pistols of the same size and caliber, such as the Ruger LC380 and the Taurus PT638 PRO SA. Using targets set at 7 yards, the G42 produced group averages ranging around 1.5 to 2 inches in size. This is a solid level of defensive accuracy for an easy to carry, close-range defensive tool, which is how the G42 is intended to be used.

Parting Thoughts
The G42 is a pocket pistol shooting enthusiasts have been waiting for. This was an intriguing review to conduct because I am a fan of Glocks and I enjoy working with pocket pistols. As such, I was able to judge this new little single-stack from two distinct perspectives. Glocksters will feel right at home with the G42’s layout. It looks like a Glock, it operates like a Glock and it's just as reliable as the double-stack Glocks.

But what about those who are looking for a pocket pistol to use for concealed carry yet are unfamiliar with Glocks? The G42 is soft shooting, reliable and demonstrates a level of defensive accuracy as good (or better) as other semi-autos in its class. This is one of only a few pocket pistols I would feel comfortable recommending to new, small-framed or recoil-sensitive shooters. I like it so well that I'm planning to inquire if the sample provided for this test is available to purchase. I can’t give it a higher recommendation than that.

Comments

107 Responses to Glock G42 .380 ACP Pocket Pistol

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2014

I like my 42. I had the slide lock issue as well. but I found that I was locking the slide with my thumb while firing. if I wash my thumb I don't have any problems.

daniel wrote:
April 30, 2014

While reading this article, I came across the part where it was mentioned that the slide locked open while there were still rounds in the mag. This occurred when using a certain type of ammo. I watched a Hickok45 vid when the 42 did the same thing, but he was shooting a different high velocity ammo. When I practice, I use a variety of different cartridges, such as PMC, Monarch, and some factory reloads from Atlanta Arms, and Freedom Munitions. Some are round nose and some are flat nose. I have had my slide lock back while firing several different times, but not consistently, and not with any particular ammo of the ones I practice with. I am wondering if, while firing two handed, my right thumb might be pushing up on the slide lock without me noticing it. So, I am going to make an effort to make sure my right thumb is staying away from the slide lock while I'm firing. I use a +1 mag extender on the 42 from Galloway Precision, so it holds 8 rounds. My defensive rounds are: 2 rds of Lehigh Defense Maximum Expansion 68gr then 2 rds Buffalo Bore HCFN 100gr standard pressure. I alternate these on out to 8rds. Also, I load with Precision One XTP cartridges sometimes, which perform great. I have not had the slide lock problem with any of the premium cartridges, but I haven't fired as many of them. I have access to the practice cartridges, so I fire many more of them. Anyway, guys and gals, check out your right thumb position on the pistol and make sure it isn't putting pressure on the slide lock while you are firing. Just something to think about and check out.

Leadfoot44 wrote:
April 02, 2014

I didn't get around to reading this till today, and although I just bought a G42, I haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Some of these comments are interesting, though - james maranki commented on 1/8 that he 'prefers the Beretta Pico.' I'd like to know how, since it isn't even out yet?! I read a review of it last September and got all excited and wanted one, but the review said it wouldn't be available till the 'last quarter' of 2013, so I immediately figured that meant the last week of December. Here it is, the first week of April in 2014 and it STILL isn't out! I even e-mailed the Berretta folks at their website a couple weeks ago to ask how soon it would be available, and I got a mealy-mouthed reply about having to meet testing deadlines, with the conclusion that even Berretta doesn't know when it will be out ... very bad marketing, which cost them this customer, at least. It was actually one of the reasons why I got the G42.

Bob Lane wrote:
March 29, 2014

I fired the G42 for the first time with a Glock representative standing by me. Out of 10 rounds it jammed 4 times. My Sig Sauer P238 is more reliable.

Ratih H wrote:
March 28, 2014

I bought the 42 last month. I have found it to be sensitive to some brands of ammo . PMC FMJ 95 grain is useless in it. Failure to extract virtually every round. Problem comes when the cartridge has a smaller extraction rim, lots of other brands with a wider rim perform flawlessly.

manuel wrote:
March 28, 2014

Why no mention in the article of the fact that this gun is radically larger in every dimension compared to similar offerings from keltec, kahr, diamondback, and others? When those others have lighter triggers too? Give us an actual competitive comparison, instead of just gushing about the brand name.

JIm C wrote:
March 23, 2014

I bought my G-42 in Feb and paid $399.00 that's a good price point for a new offering

soloone wrote:
March 19, 2014

John, ther's no doubt about it, the Bersa .380's are reliable and reasonably priced. As I noted, i sold my Bersa as I wasn't using it, too heavy for pocket carry ,IMO. The 42 Glock is much lighter and is my third Glock. You're right, the Glock price is high. However, I now will have a usable (for me) a pocket carry pistol.

March 19, 2014

I was at a gun shot last weekend. I saw many new guns. I was in the Glock booth and saw the new G42, When I got quoted a price of $530 I almost fell to the ground. I own 3 Bersa 380's which I paid around $280 for each. I could never see paying almost 3 times that much for 1 handgun. Yes and all 3 Bersa's run just fine with 7 and 8 round magazines. Sorry glock that price needs to come way down.

Johnny wrote:
March 19, 2014

I've shot many brands of self defensive pistols, 1911 glock 40's 45's and smaller concealed type pistols. The Colt 380, the 22 Ruger Mark II all have preformed well at the range and for personal protection. The only time I ever need to use a firearm was after a Cowboys game back in 1991. The people I was traveling with were happy and pleasantly drunk, I was the sober driver that night. About an hour into our return trip a can full of drunk teens started cutting into our lane. At 1st I just thought they were being jerks. Then they cut hard and hit the front of my truck more then a couple of times. I owned a Ruger P85 at the time and put 8 rounds into the hood of their car, they took the next off ramp. I stopped a few miles down the road to report the incident. I now carry a Glock Gen 4 ,40 and the new G42 380 for self protection. Thank God I live in a state that still common sense.

Soloone wrote:
March 14, 2014

I'm waiting on a Glock 42. I just sold me Bersa .380, a great gun but too heavy for pocket holster carry. Owning Glocks are not for beginners. They aren't safe to carry loose. There is a spacer available to make them safe for carry. I own two Glocks and they can't be beat for reliability. I've been shooting for 68 years and will not badmouth another's choice of firearms. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything

Kraig C. wrote:
March 14, 2014

Hey I love this firearm. I have the s&w shield and the ruger lc9. Both are nice weapons, but this Glock blew me away.I had my right wrist shattered from a body slam by a nut job and now have pins and plates in my right wrist. This Glock has almost no recoil and I can shoot all day with it and blow out the center of the target at 20yds with no pain. That work's for me. I never have to worry of getting knocked down again. Never even picked up a fire arm until all this happened 6 months ago. I'm sold on it. It's not just a Lady's gun. Thanks Glock

Geoff wrote:
March 07, 2014

When are they coming out with 9mm single stack like this? That would sell better I think.

chicken wrote:
February 28, 2014

own glocks and love them but my colt mustang pocketlite 380 is my choice for concealed carry, looks and performance

Jack wrote:
February 16, 2014

Bigdaddy is insecure. 10mm can't fit in a pocket.

Carl wrote:
January 31, 2014

I had the trigger measured the other day on mine G-42 and it was 6 and 3/4 lbs. Not as heavy as I thought. Seems the other glock connectors won't work in this model so will have to wait till someone makes the correct trigger connector for those who want a lighter trigger. To me the double spring of the slide is pretty stiff to pull back with a two finger grip. I don't women will like this feature much unless they are super strong. The serrations on the rear of slide aren't cut deep enough for a good 2 finger grip in my opinion.

Frank Q. Ray wrote:
January 29, 2014

I'll stick with the Taurus 'Judge'. No chance of missing during a self defense event.

Stephen wrote:
January 29, 2014

I bought the Glock 42 .380Auto yesterday. Love it. I fired 3 mags through it with out a single problem. One mag single shots. One mag double tapping and ind mag rapid fire. Let my 14 yr old daughter shoot one mag and twice it failed to eject but the trigger reset. I then shot another mag single shots and again had not one problem. Never figured out what caused the problem unless it was her fragile hands involving the safety trigger system. Any ideas.

Carl wrote:
January 29, 2014

I brought one of these glock 42 last week. First 50 rds had some stovepipes on the 2nd round. I think my thumb was riding the slide lock lever, This is kind of a problem for large hands and long fingers for this small pistol. Went back to range next day and it run smooth without any hicups but I was also conscious of the placement of my thumb so as not to bump the the slide lock during recoil. Yes the trigger feels like it is much heavier then 5.5 lbs. Will measure it later. Have a bout 150 rds through it. I seems very accurate close 7 to 10 yrds. I think the spring will make the slide a little much for most women to pull back on a regular basis. Pretty stiff for a 2 finger grip.

BIGDADDY wrote:
January 29, 2014

I DON'T OWN A 32 OR A 380 BUT I HAVE NUMEROUS HANGUNS OF GLOCK, SPRINGFIELS ARMOUR, RUGER ,BROWNING, S&W, COLT, ETC. MY FAVORITE GUN TO SHOOT IS MY 20C GLOCK 10 MM THAT HAS THE LESS RECOIL OF ANY OF THE GUNS I OWN. IT FEELS LIKE YOU ARE SHOOTING A 9MM WITH VERY LITTLE RECOIL. IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY DROP AT 50 YARDS LIKE THE 40 AND 45 SPRINGFIELDS DO. IT HAS MORE VELOICITY AND MORE LEVEL SHOOTINJG ABBILITY . I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING FOR 40+ YEARS AT 500+ ROUNDSPER MONTH. I ALSO HAVE A VERY GOOD COLLECTION OF CUSTM BUILT RIFLES AS WELL AS A GREAT COLLECTION OF AR'S IN 204, 23, 308 AND OTHERS. I HOLD A FFL LISCENSE FOE MANY YEARS AND ENJOY SHOOTING A LOT. ILIKE THE GLOCK, BUT I ALSO LIKE THE OTHERS THAT I HAVE IN 9MM, 357, 40 ,45, 38, AND 10MM. I PREFER THE 10 MM. BIGDADDY

Snowcatt wrote:
January 29, 2014

Let's see, 'pocket pistol' and 'Glock' in the same sentence. Hmmmmm, something's wrong here but I can't seem to put my finger on it. OH WAIT, IT'S A BLOCK, I MEAN GLOCK! ;) Fine pistol? Definitely. Reliable? Absolutely. Pretty? Not so much. Pocket pistol? Hahahahahahahaha, (I apologize to all you Glock owners. I couldn't help myself ;)

petru sova wrote:
January 28, 2014

I think this gun will go over like a lead balloon. First why would anyone buy it when you can conceal the small Glock 9 mm gun models just as well. Also many people buy a .380 so that they can put it in a coat pocket. This gun would be unsafe to carry that way because it has no manual safety nor does it have a hard double action pull. If put in a pocket without a holster it would go off guaranteed just like the bigger Glocks do when stuffed in the waist band without a holster. No this gun makes little if any sense as it is not that much more concealable in the waist ban and not safe to carry in a pocket without a holster. And of course we are speaking of a weak .380 cartridge as well. Why carry a gun that is a weak .380 when you can carry a more lethal 9mm that is just as concealable. Again this .380 Glock model just does not make much sense. It may have been developed for export to foreign countries that have banned calibers like the 9mm. So with the gun in production anyway why not also sell it on the American market as well. People always want the 'latest and greatest' new gadget that is out without bothering to think about its more practical use, if indeed there is a practical use for it. As P.T. Barnum once said, 'There is a sucker born every minute' unfortunately his statement proved all to true since he made it many years ago.

B. Fife wrote:
January 28, 2014

'Pocketable'? I think not. My Ruger LCP is 'pocketable', this thing is huge by comparison. My Kel-tec PF-9 rides a pocket better and has 8 rounds of 9mm versus 7 rounds of .380.

Lisa wrote:
January 25, 2014

I have a Glock 19, and have not had any issues in the 2 yrs I've had it. My husband and Dad have both tried to convince me to get revolver, not really interested. I'm looking forward to getting the G42. I travel with our kids quite a bit, so I need something smaller. This looks like it will do the trick. We've been to the range and I was the only female at the time and had the men watching me and the way I could handle the Glock. I also have family members that were in the military. So comments about women not handling guns is all in the attitude.

Joe wrote:
January 24, 2014

I picked up a G42 yesterday and can answer a couple of the questions here. LEO price 319.00 civilian 399.00. Mag release and magazines are same as gen 4 and release can be switched for lefties. Mag and release must both be gen for to switch and I verified mag is gen 4 style.

M Haycocks wrote:
January 22, 2014

I have a healhy dislike of guns that jam! One malfunction is to many! After 1000's of rounds only Glock has lived up to this requirement! Can't wait for this little car bumper

BiG Weve wrote:
January 16, 2014

I own a G30SF and a G26. Love both of them. Can't wit to add the 42 to my Glock collection. I'm with CTB...It'll be a great gun for light summer clothes.

Ebudea wrote:
January 15, 2014

Does the G42 have the laser target light?

Markjg wrote:
January 14, 2014

Thank you for the report on the Glock G42 .380cal. Glock Gen4 models are designed to provide the shooter the option to change out the mag. release and convert the handgun for left hand use. Your article was not clear whether the G42 .380 as Gen4 model. Can it be the mag. release on the G42 be converted for the left handed shooter? Your article noted the G30S .45cal. as a Gen4 model when in fact it is a Gen3 model and does not give the shooter the option with respect to the ability to convert the mag. release for left handed shooters. Your comments are welcome.

deedeemao wrote:
January 12, 2014

More people want a 9mm singles stack of this size than a 380. Why couldn't the offer both?

Xena wrote:
January 12, 2014

Why do men think women cannot handle a gun other than a revolver? I own 6 automatic pistols and 2 revolvers, 3 rifles, and 1 shotgun. I am well armed and can shot anything?

Keith wrote:
January 12, 2014

I know some women CAN'T shoot a semi-auto just because they can't pull the slide back, so shooting a wheel/revolver is easier and 99.9999999[%] more reliable than a semi-auto. My wife shoots both but she can't pull the slide back, so she has a Beretta with a barrel that flips up to add one bullet so she won't have to pull the slide back to load it.

VMT wrote:
January 12, 2014

I think this pistol will potentially be a flop long term if they put the price point at $500.00+. There are too many very good manufacturers producing quality .380’s at a much more reasonable price that are very reliable. I’m sure there are many Glock enthusiasts who will disagree but to place the price so high will push away many consumers especially when there are viable substitutes. In the beginning it will seem like a hit but long term I believe most consumers will not pay $500.00+ for a .380. The other challenge will be to compete against other pistols just as small with a frame less than 1” thick, barrel 3.125”, capacity 7+1 rounds (6 with flush magazine), height 4.6”, caliber 9mm, etc. Yes, I’m talking about the M&P Shield in 9mm with a current store price of $400 - $440. When you compare that to the Glock 42 which is about the same specs one would have to ask the question why someone would pay almost $100 more (when you add in transfer fees + tax) for a .380 pistol with the same or less capacity than the M&P Shield or other subcompact 9mm that are close to the same size as the Glock 42. I think Glock has really missed the mark with this new pistol when so many of their loyal customers have been asking for a single stack subcompact 9mm for years.

Phil wrote:
January 12, 2014

I recommend the Glock brand. An outstanding feat of engineering. My wife uses the G36 since 1999. Target retention is incomparable in her petite hands even though the G36 is a 45 caliber. My pocket rocket is my grandfather HsC Mauser in 32 ACP, still reliable 70 years later I will get a G42 for my wife.

Louie T wrote:
January 12, 2014

The glock single stack is already out. Its called the diamondback db9

Tazdevil1954 wrote:
January 12, 2014

This is certainly a C.C weapon I will check out. I own the Glock 19, 26, 21, and 30 and have had absolutely NO issues with any of them. The 21 is the only one I do not carry, but the specs of the 42 sounds as if it is perfect for summer clothing and pocket carry. I prefer a company that is willing to engineer a firearm to their satisfaction rather than speed something to market before it is ready. To all who will complain that Glock is late to the pocket .380 market, wouldn't you rather have a firearm th

CTB wrote:
January 12, 2014

Agree Glock makes a fine weapon... I own a 23, I own a S&W M- P ... for summer lightweight carry- I've tried keltec- ruger- ppk- browning-Taurus-... IMO- the best small pistol on the market is the sig p238 ... Comes with awesome high visibility night sites, 2 mags and a nice pancake holster ... Great , great smooth low recoil shooter ... Eats any ammo you feed it... Single action/ safety/ super accurate .. All-around great pistol ... The new glock will be its greatest challenger..

David2014 wrote:
January 11, 2014

I worked at a large LEO firing range for over 3 yrs where over 1 million rounds were fired during a year's time, and the only time the Armorers ever worked on the Glocks [[]9's, 40's & .45's] was to add night sights or change a heavy NY or California trigger to a 5.5 pound. The other brands of firearms were regularly being serviced for a wide variety of issues. They just didn't hold up like the Glocks. As for the imported G25 & G28's.. they are not allowed for civilian sale inside the USA due to federal import restrictions. The G42 is manufactured / assembled in the USA so those restrictions will not apply to civilian sale. The people who want a small 9mm single stack pocket rocket the size of the G42 over a .380 fail to understand that it is the light felt recoil that most people are interested in. Light recoil means you get back on target faster / easier after each shot. And with modern ammo like Hornady's Critical Defense / Critical Duty, at self defense ranges of approx. 21 feet or less... the bullets are designed to penetrate & expand on par with full power 9mm's. So don't be so down on the little .380, after all it is basically a 9mm bullet in a ever-so-slightly shorter cartridge case . If you ever hit a bad guy 2,3,4 times in the center mass area with a rapidly fired milti-burst of quick expanding jagged hollow points... it will take the fight out of him. There aren't too many bad guys [[]even under the influence of drugs or alcohol] who would keep fighting once a lung or 2 is collapsed.

Shawn O'Loughlin wrote:
January 10, 2014

@James: why is it that when a woman asks gun advice you want to hand them a wheel gun? Do you think that a woman is not capable of learning to use a semi-auto? My wife can shoot my Glock, 1911 and AR-15s just as well as any man can. Please stop with the 'she's just a girl' non-sense and let a woman fight like a man.

Glenn wrote:
January 09, 2014

I'll stick with my Kahr P380 as it is much smaller and a fine CC pistol. Otherwise, my Walther is perfect.

William wrote:
January 09, 2014

Angie I am just an average joe not a sales person or any of that type.i have always been a Smith & Wesson, and Ruger I bought a Glock 23 thinking ok I will give it a try. I have loved it every since the first time I fired it. It is my everyday CCW.

Jeff wrote:
January 09, 2014

Gun is not much smaller than my M&P Shield 40 which holds 6-7 rounds... Its nice to see Glock try to compete though they do have a following

Patrol21 wrote:
January 09, 2014

Lots of folks here saying good/bad..until you a firearm in your hand and actually carry/use it's anyones guess. I daily carry and my service weapon has always been a Glock. Until you have to actually draw a weapon and take this step, your comments don't hold much water. I trust glocks with my life. Had to in the past and will do the same in the future. Once these become avail. I can obtain LE version..I will advise.

Mark Peters wrote:
January 09, 2014

I'll stick with the Bersa 380.

N&HS wrote:
January 09, 2014

I own every caliber Glock made. My backup weapon is the XDm .45 I live on the range & have shot hundreds of rounds through the XDm with no jams. I will be adding this new Glock to my growing collection.

big bob wrote:
January 09, 2014

People that shoot th e myself with a glock have their finger in the wrong place at t h e wrong time. They need more practice and training ,even co p s.

Big Joe G. wrote:
January 09, 2014

I am diehard Glock guy...carry G31 abd G33 daily on and off duty.....How do they think this well give the 9mm or 40s&w shield a run for its money. Shield is sweet little pistol....another case of Glock being behind the innovation curve. Time was they were the dog to chase, not so much anymore.

James wrote:
January 09, 2014

@Barb; If you're just using your handgun for home defense, you may want to go with a revolver. Easier to train on and much less chance of a malfunction (tho Glocks are notorious for not malfunctioning). In the case that it does ever jam tho, you need to be trained on how to recover from it immediately, in case of a life or death situation. I revolver will not jam on you, and is much easier to maintain. Just my 2 cents. (I'm partial to the Ruger SP101, myself)

Paul wrote:
January 09, 2014

So is this simply a legal-for-import G28?

Bohog wrote:

Can't beat kel tec 380

Gary wrote:
January 09, 2014

I have reserved mine for delivery this month. It is less than $400 for public and around $330 for LE. All reviews show it is dependable. The size is just right for me. 6+1 is ok, not great. However, I like this because of weight factor when carrying for 12 hours as a backup or concealed while working, driving. I did specs on a site for LE Sales.

Angie wrote:
January 09, 2014

Everone that says they will stick with their Ruger, Remington, etc., or will go baxk to what they were using, please explain why to me. When I was goinv to get a Glock, I was told that, yes, it doesn't have a safety, but if you drop it, it won't go off like some other handguns, & it's the safest handgun out their. I'd really like feedback from handgun owners that Do Not own a gun store & Is Nottrying to sell me a gun, just for the sake of selling one. Yes, I've shot guns for Years, so I'm mm ot a complete rookie. Their are some terms, about the guns, that I don't understand what they mean, but like I said, I've shot them for years. I just would like feedback from someone that is Not trying to sell me a gun & is Very Familiar with them. THANK YOU!!

Jim Lee wrote:
January 09, 2014

I think I'll stick with my Kel-Tec .380. It fits in the palm of my hand, shoots good, and is easy to carry and conceal most anywhere.

Thomas wrote:
January 09, 2014

I am waiting for the G42 to show up for purchase. I have a Walther PK-380 and had to send it back for a number of different issue. Want to get it back but also looking to use the Glock. I have had a G23 for a number of years and after firing a few thousand rounds threw it without a single failure, I am certain the G42 will be just as reliable.

Barb wrote:
January 09, 2014

Is this one that you would recommend for a female for home protection only?

Michael wrote:
January 08, 2014

I am a Glock owner but in truth I own a lot of other pistols that I carry concealed. Not long ago, I spoke with an investigator in California that evens own a gun store and he claimed he investigated more accidental shootings with Glocks than any other firearm. Simple truth, no real safety. So, here is my prediction, since more individuals will likely carry this pistol than a full sized Glocks concealed there is going to likely be a big increase of individuals accidentally discharging this pistol thus shooting themselves or others around them. BTW, I like the idea of this pistol, however, not sure about adding it to my collection. Like others mentioned I would have preferred a single stack 9mm over .380 ACP

cyaw11 wrote:
January 08, 2014

From my understand is the .380 cal Glocks are for Police and Military only but are banned in the US even for them both. They don't make that model here near my house in Ga. and it would have to be an import.

SCallen wrote:
January 08, 2014

I have been waiting for Glock to catch up with a Pocket pistol. Can't wait to get one into mine.

Jafet Varela wrote:
January 08, 2014

In USA, this caliber (.380) was only available for LEO. Is there going to be a civilian version? Is this it?

RudyCardenas wrote:
January 08, 2014

No Glock for me. When it comes to a .380 there are tons of others that have been doing right for a long time. Walther has the iconic PPK and recently followed it up with a PK380. That's what I have and I have no reason to swap to another .380 ACP.

Dave Owens wrote:
January 08, 2014

I've been waiting for this. Since Illinois finally has Conceal Carry, I'm going to start saving my money for one of these. :)

Lawrence Oliver wrote:
January 08, 2014

Steve I think you mean 'catch up' but whatever. Personally I hope you are wrong. Personally I hope that they have been working on this for a while to get it right instead of just cranking it out as fast as they could, resulting in poor engineering and possible recalls. I for one don't care much for .380 though there are some great ones out there. I will however be very interested in a 9mm version or possibly a comp'd version in 9mm due to the size. which I doubt we'll see since they are getting ride of the 'C' in their fullsized models.

ALEX wrote:
January 08, 2014

I'll take the new Remington R51 thank you. I will never own another Glock.

Ranger175C wrote:
January 08, 2014

I want one but that being said as a career LEO and a Glock armor just give the people what they really want the same or slightly larger gun as a 6 or 7 shot 9mm.

David Ely wrote:
January 08, 2014

I wish this pistol would have been in 9x19 instead of 9x17.

greg wrote:
January 08, 2014

If it holds no more than a wheel gun, which is more reliable, Im not sure I see a reason to buy it

Thomas wrote:
January 08, 2014

why the heck make it a single stack, they should have gone with a double stack for added uniqueness. Why should buy this when I could buy a single stacked ppk/s and more compact or a shield too...to have a glock single stack is pointless, its not like you could use this in tactical application like a 19,17,22,23,21, or 20. How about finally making a 10mm carbine that you keep shooting down!! ...On a side note the glass oxide finish is horrible!!

Brian wrote:
January 08, 2014

It is being compared to the LC380 which is the same size as the LC9. The LCP is the smallest and most reliable 380 and the LC9 is the most reliable 9mm, especially for the pricepoint. I have the LCP with almost 1000 rounds and two LC9s with 1000 rounds through each with no malfunctions. It will be interesting to see what yhey come up with for their 9mm and 40mm but, for now, I'm good.

scott wrote:
January 08, 2014

A lot of people moaning that its 380or that its late to the game.Its here get over it.

Little Fish wrote:
January 08, 2014

Rem 51 is STILL the preferred .380 single stack CC, if you can find one. Fits the hand perfectly and just points naturally.

gary wrote:
January 08, 2014

i will stick with my 27 or my 29 .

DGR wrote:
January 08, 2014

Who would buy a 6rd single stack 380? The new Remington R-51 is a 9mm, same size but holds 7 rds of 9mm. A Ruger LCP holds 6rds and is much (much) smaller than the G42. A gun as large as the G42 should hold more, especially in a small round like the 380. Scale it up to 9mm and will they give us a 5rd mag? Its almost like they were so hell-bent on making it smaller but still keep all the 'Glock' looks that they refused to redesign anything that would give them a larger mag size.

Joe wrote:
January 08, 2014

It would be nice to see one in 9mm....

Glockman wrote:
January 08, 2014

I've put thousands of rounds through my G26 without a single F2F or stovepipe. It has never once failed me. NOTHING shoots as reliably as a Glock. And I say this from experience.

Walter Trawinski wrote:
January 08, 2014

I just went to Glock's website and there is no listing for this model. Has it been released?

Big Red wrote:
January 08, 2014

Well, I can't use the .380. But I at least have to commend them for not rushing to market only to issue recalls. S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Walther, etc...

Clay wrote:
January 08, 2014

I still prefer the Walther PPK in .380 for these reasons: Loaded round indicator, Safety with highly visable indicators, a decocker with double and single action firing.

steve wrote:
January 08, 2014

So many companies have already been there and done that. Glock perfection my backside, Glock Ketchup is more like it.

bill johnson wrote:
January 08, 2014

I want one... nice piece...

JRn wrote:
January 08, 2014

I'll stick with my mp 40 shield jack!

Duke wrote:
January 08, 2014

The price is just to hight but I do have a G19 I do like the price needs to be competitive.

Brent wrote:
January 08, 2014

To those dogging Glock and safety advocates: You must have no law enforcement experience. Safety and decockers simply hold you up and could cost you your life.

Paul Atkinson wrote:
January 08, 2014

I have a Khar PM9. It's smaller, proven, super reliable, with the same number of rounds. And the biggest plus is that it's 9mm. Why would I carry this instead?

Jason wrote:
January 08, 2014

Previously I stated the G42 .380 caliber was only sold to law enforcement. However I rechecked her website it is the G25 in G28 .380 listed as only being available to law enforcement. Those are the only .380 cal caliber firearms listed on Glocks website

Jason wrote:
January 08, 2014

I like the Glocks. However at the time I checked which was less than a couple months ago the G42 .380 is completely reserved for law-enforcement only. There was no way for a civilian to purchase this. Not even if you qualified for the blue label program. Flat out law-enforcement only

Mike Murray wrote:
January 08, 2014

Block has led the way on polymer pistols. Carried one while in law enforcement. I have owned and shot about everything, but won't carry anything but block.

Juan Rodriguez wrote:

Very nice indeed.

James maranki wrote:
January 08, 2014

I prefer the Berretta Pico.

Scamp wrote:
January 08, 2014

My old .380 is history. This is perfect for my next concealed carry. Yes I have a license

Ed wrote:

Will sure to get one.

alex wrote:
January 08, 2014

G42 is is going to be released/previewed at the shot show in Vegas. You can also oggle it on Glock Glock YouTube channel.

Steel9992 wrote:

I am looking forward to the g42 so ican finally complete my set of Glocks

danny wrote:
January 08, 2014

Is this model 'mass. Compliant?'

ike wrote:
January 08, 2014

Will stick with my ruger lcp

Richard wrote:

How much is it

Semper73 wrote:
January 08, 2014

I asked Crimson Tract when they were going to have a laser grip for this. Love it on my LCP-CT. Will 'upgrade' to the G42 when it comes out.

Mike K wrote:
January 08, 2014

Fine for an introductory article, but why the lack of pictures? Most readers will identify with the gun after seeing all of it's angles, internals, magazine shots, etc. The article comes up short for this reason.

Keith Bailey wrote:
January 08, 2014

Well glocks are all made by Matel and they are swell.Why would anyone want to buy the pieces of junk that you make.

Ismael Guia wrote:
January 08, 2014

Got to get me one of these for sure! Just right for on the go... and very reliable!

john gaunt wrote:
January 08, 2014

why is this one ok and the Glock 28 is not legal?

P McMinn wrote:

I'll keep my Sig P238

Susan wrote:
January 08, 2014

My husband is lefthanded. How would it be for him?

Earl lasko wrote:
January 08, 2014

A gun 6' long and amost 1' wide is hardly a pocket pistol.. I'll stick my with my ruger lcp

Bsmith wrote:
January 08, 2014

Not bad, I'd like to own one, my trade in my 22, but I agree with the previous comment I like the chamber round indicator on my P232 Sig. But my make for a good CC.

Sonia parks wrote:

How much is this gun?

Randy Chambers wrote:
January 08, 2014

The price is just a little steep you buy a browning cheaper than that and a S&W .They need to drop their price.

Patrick o'quinn wrote:
January 08, 2014

Sounds great. Wish would make it. In a 9 mm just bought a ruger LC-9 only because glock didn't offer one that size I have a 40 glock model 22 also