Rifles > Semi-Auto

Ruger SR-762 Rifle

Ruger takes its popular piston-operated AR semi-auto rifle to the next level by chambering it for the .308 Win./7.62 NATO cartridge.

A few years ago, Ruger decided it was time to step into the ever-growing AR-style rifle market with a new semi-auto chambered for 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem. Instead of producing another gas-impingement platform, the company invested time and resources to produce its own answer to the AR shooting system. The SR-556 rifle operates using a patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with a multi-stage regulator. The standard AR gas-impingement system channels the hot gases produced by a fired cartridge into the bolt assembly to cycle the bolt and chamber a fresh round. It’s a proven system, but not necessarily a very clean one. Funneling exhaust gases into the action of the rifle causes it to become hot and dirty, possibly affecting how many rounds can be fired before reliability becomes an issue.

Ruger's AR design employs a piston system to cycle the action, not unlike that of the famous FN-FAL battle rifle. The hot gases from the barrel engage a piston set in an adjustable gas block. The piston actuates a spring-loaded rod, located over the barrel, which in turn cycles the bolt assembly. This system has two primary advantages. First, the bolt assembly stays cleaner and cooler during an extended course of fire. Second, the gas pressure used to cycle the bolt can be adjusted to reduce wear and tear on the rifle. It’s a flexible system that will run reliably under a variety of shooting conditions.

As well-received as the SR-556 has been, there are those among Ruger's customers who have been eager to see this successful platform re-designed to fire 7.62 NATO/.308 Win. cartridges. Their requests have been answered in the new SR-762 semi-auto rifle.

Although the SR-762 has been beefed up to handle the larger .308 cartridges, it is only 0.66-pounds heavier than the standard .223 version. Steel components are treated with a non-reflective, black manganese-phosphate finish, with aluminum components finished in a matte, hard-coat anodizing to match. The 16.12-inch cold-hammer-forged barrel is constructed of mil-spec 41V45 chrome-moly vanadium steel. It has a chrome-lined bore for added longevity and a fluted exterior to reduce the barrel's weight and improve cooling. The muzzle is cut with 5/8-inch 24 threads so that suppressors and barrel accessories can be attached, and it arrives with an SR-556-style flash suppressor already in place.

The lightweight aluminum handguard is topped with a 1913 Picatinny rail that aligns with the flat-top receiver to create a full-length optics and sight rail. A set of folding steel AR-style iron sights are provided. Like other AR combat sights, the front sight is elevation adjustable, while the rear is windage adjustable with both a large and small aperture. The three flat surfaces of the handguard (at the 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions) have been drilled and tapped with five mounting points each, which can be used to attach accessory or hand guard rails.

The chromed bolt rides in a chrome-plated, one-piece bolt carrier with an oversized and radiused rear bearing surface. All of the SR-762's exterior controls are of a standard, AR-15 configuration. The charging handle, forward assist, dust cover, bolt release, magazine release and trigger can be readily identified and operated in a familiar fashion for those who are experienced with the platform. A comfortable, pebbled rubber Hogue Monogrip has been installed in place of the more common hard plastic pistol grip. The six-position M4-style adjustable butt stock rides on a mil-spec buffer tube instead of a commercial model. And just in case you were looking for it, Ruger found an unobtrusive place to engrave its well-known "Read the Manual" statement on this rifle. It's located on the underside of the barrel, between the flash hider and the handguard.

The knurled adjustment knob for the chromed two-stage gas piston, located at the muzzle end of the handguard above the barrel, has four settings ranging from 0 to 3. The 0 position closes the gas system completely and prevents spent cases from ejecting until the charging handle is cycled. Position 1 provides the lowest level of gas flow to cycle the action, with the 3 position providing the strongest level of bolt-cycling pressure. By adapting the gas settings to match the ammunition being used, the user can reduce unnecessary wear and tear on the rifle when using powerful loads, or keep the rifle running reliably when it becomes dirty or when weaker loads are fired. The rifle arrived set at position 2, which will run a wide variety of loads.

The rifle is rounded out with a thoughtfully assembled set of useful accessories. The gun arrives with a soft carry case with straps to hold the rifle in place and pockets for the magazines. Three 20-round Magpul PMAG polymer magazines are included instead of just one or two. Two short Picatinny accessory rails for use with lights, lasers and vertical grips are provided along with three polymer handguard rails for those who want to enhance the gripping surface of the fore-end. With the iron sights installed and a lock to secure the action, this gun arrives ready to go to work.

The overall craftsmanship and finish of the rifle were excellent, and the accessories were top-notch as well. The weight and balance of the rifle made it quite handy and the controls operated smoothly. The level of felt recoil was perfectly manageable with all of the ammunition fired.

For range work, two more items were added to the test set. One was the Butler Creek LULA Loader. The lever-operated, slip-on loader makes filling .308 magazines a painless experience. The other item was a Nikon M-308 BDC 800 4-16x42 rifle scope, which arrives with a one-piece mount that has a built-in 20 minute-of-angle (m.o.a.) slope. This scope was designed to help stretch the long-range accuracy of modern sporting rifles chambered in heavier calibers. The M-308 is nitrogen filled and o-ring sealed, featuring fully multi-coated optics, a one-piece main body tube for optimal weight reduction and durability, and tactical-style adjustment turrets with a zero-reset function. With up to 16x magnification, this is more scope than most would need for tactical applications, but with the bright, crisp, sight picture it was very comfortable to work with for accuracy testing, and is ideal for anyone looking to take far-off shots.

The gas-piston system ran reliably with all of the ammunition fired, which consisted of several commercially produced .308 Win. hunting and target shooting loads. For formal accuracy testing, five, five-shot groups were fired from a benchrest into targets set at 100 yards. Two loads were neck-in-neck for the best single five-shot group. The Hornady 168-grain Boat Tail Hollow Point (BTHP) just barely took the lead at 0.99 inches, followed by the HPR 168-grain BTHP at 1 inch. Despite the relatively stiff 8-pound, 6-ounce trigger pull, the five-group averages were satisfyingly tight. The Hornady load averaged 1.17 inches, followed by HPR at 1.22 inches. Federal Premium's Sierra Match King 168-grain BTHP produced a 1.26-inch average and DoubleTap's Long Range 155-grain BTHP Match averaged 1.36 inches. Not bad at all, but with a lighter trigger it might be possible to squeeze the groups down even more.

I found several good reasons to like the new Ruger SR-762 rifle from a technical perspective. It's well-made, reliable, comfortable to operate and it has accuracy potential to spare for a combat-style rifle. With the simple, rugged, reliable gas-piston system, it will run reliably with a wide variety of ammunition.

But one of the things I like best about this particular setup is how it demonstrates Ruger's respect for its customers. They recognize that slapping down two grand for a rifle is no small investment.  And that running around spending even more money trying to find accessories that fit is no picnic. Instead of trying to press as much profit as possible out of the platform by shipping it as a bare bones, just-one-magazine, no sights, no-frills shooting package, the gun arrives with a quality accessory set that makes it ready for the shooting range right out of the box. Just add ammo and enjoy the comfortable shooting characteristics and accuracy this rifle provides.

Manufacturer: Sturm, Ruger & Co.; Ruger.com
Model: SR-762
Action: Two-Stage Piston Gas Operated Semi-Auto
Caliber: .308 Win./7.62 NATO
Finish: Manganese Phosphate/Hard Coat Anodized
Sights: Adjustable AR-Type Folding Iron Sights
Barrel Length: 16.12”
Overall Length: 34.75” to 38”
Length of Pull: 11.5” to 14.75”
Height: 8”
Weight: 8.6 lbs.
Twist: 1:10” RH
Rifle Grooves: 6
Accessories: Folding Adjustable Sights, Three 20-Round PMAGs, Three Removable Hand Guard Rails, Two Removable Short Accessory Picatinny Rails, Tactical Soft Case, Lock, Owner's Manual
Suggested Retail Price: $2,195

Comments

38 Responses to Ruger SR-762 Rifle

Jim Huss wrote:
June 22, 2014

I purchased 2 sr 762's for my son and myself on fathersday. I installed a Rock River 2 stage trigger and a 2.5 x 10 trijicon on mine put it on the bench and zeroed it using mixed ammo, it shot perfect !!!! I shot russian soft point , federal match and commercial reloads from 140gr to 168gr and all had tight 100yd groups. The lar 8 will be up for sale soon.

David B wrote:
June 21, 2014

Got the SR 762 on 6/18/2014. Nice rifle. Shot open sights at 50 yards. Nice groups. Put 50 rounds threw it. No jam what so ever. Cycled the ammo great. Would like to see rubber Buttstock on it. Very happy with the Ruger SR762

Bill C. wrote:
March 04, 2014

Last year I purchased an SR-556 ad it is the best rifle I have ever owned. At this point it is the only rifle I own but that is changing. I an anticipating delivery of my new SR-762. I feel, what with my requirements that the two rifles will completely satisfy my requirements for long guns. as the man said above, they both will earn their keep and justify the substantial investment. I have had no problems with the SR-556 and I expect none with the SR-762. The only problem now is getting the one I have ordered and paid for. I hope it will not be too long.

Mike Vasovski wrote:
February 17, 2014

Got mine 3 weeks ago. Nothing but trouble. Not one complete cycle. Tried all 3 mags. Gun jammed fully shut twice. Local gun store that sold it to me verified all reported malfunctions and returned it to Ruger. Many similar reports from other users on forums. Do not buy this rifle YET. There will be more than mag recalls. One person got his back from Ruger with a completely new upper.

Lisa J. wrote:
February 01, 2014

Is it HK G3 magazine compatible?? Can the trigger be reworked to lighten it up some?

Patrick wrote:
January 25, 2014

Got one in October 2013 and no problems put 500 rounds thru it mags good sights great right out of the box

January 24, 2014

I noted the fellow who was concerened with low velocities. I built loads for a friends 15' TC ; I get 2750 FPS with a150 gr bullet. and 1/2' and smaller groops at 50 yards. In my opinion each barrel is a sperate entity, and it will select the velocity and accuracy. now I can't give up on my Garand!!

Sparks wrote:
January 22, 2014

I have had the 762 for a couple of months. The first addition I made was a Gieselle SSA trigger. It shoots less than 3/4' groups at 100 yards with BVAC 168 AMax. Not bad for out of the box ammo.

Bob Kard wrote:
December 26, 2013

I have had an SR 762 for about a month, with about 100 rounds fired. Fit and finish are outstanding. The trigger is smooth, but requires substantial effort. A lighter one would be nice. The recoil is less than I expected from a .308. The gun can do 1' to sub-1' groups at 100 yards, but the trigger makes it a challenge. This gun seems to like the 168 grain match grade ammo better than the lighter, cheaper stuff. The only issue I have had is that the supplied lock with a U-shaped metal clamp would not fit into the ejector port and mag well, as the lower lip on the mag well is in the way. Ruger was surprised as they had not heard that previously & they are sending another lock. I must say, the Ruger folks are a pleasure to deal with!

RoastPork wrote:
December 10, 2013

For those long shots, it would have been nice to have a 18'' or 20'' barrel!!!

Bill Stafford wrote:
December 09, 2013

I've loved my SR556FB ever since the day I first picked it up. Best AR platform rifle I've ever had. Now Ruger decides to come up with a .308 version. I think my SR556 needs a big brother.

Rob wrote:
December 09, 2013

I bought the SR-762 and it has its flaws. Overall, its still a keeper: Problems: Problem 1: 2 of the 3 supplied P-Mags had many FTE and FTFs. I called Ruger and was told I'm not the only one with this problem. Ruger has started a national mag exchange program for the 762. I sent my 2 bad mags in (11/25) and am still waiting to get 2 good mags back. The third mag runs flawlessly (or at least it has for 225 rounds so far). Problem 2: The stock trigger was less than satisfactory. I dropped in a giesselle (sp?) and that solved the problem. Problem 3: The peep aperture on the rear sight interferes with my optic. Normally I'd blame myself for not getting higher mounts (I got the Bobro), but the Samson peep aperture won't fold flat. The body of the folded BUIS fits under my Weaver Tactical FFP 3x15x50 just fine, but the stupid dual peep aperture doesn't fold down. Grumble grumble... If anyone wants to trade rear BUISs, let me know. Its a shame because I really like the Samson sights. BTW, the Bobro quick release mount has put my scope back to absolute zero about 5 times now. Problem 4: Ruger will not sell spare parts for it. I asked and was told no on any “factory fitted” part, which is most of them. Problem 5: it eats ammo WAY too fast. I blame the gun :-) Enough gripes, here's what I like: 1. Its lighter than the other semi-auto 308's I played with. Are there lighter SA 308's out there? Probably, but not that readily come to mind or that I held. 2. I get submoa 5 shot groups with handloads. The first shot is a flier even when I slingshot it into the action, but the following 19 make tight little groups when I do my part. 3. The action stays very clean. I ran some Herter's steel cased ammo and didn't find any of those little yellow specs or much carbon fouling in the chamber. The gas piston gets dirty, but its easy to remove and easy to clean because its chrome plated. The Ruger's barrel cleans faster than my Remington 700 308 AAC-SD because the former is chromed. 4. I like the ability to control the gas (yeah yeah, insert your favorite fart joke here). This gives me the option to run it reliably with a can, run it reliably without cleaning for extended periods of time, or turn the gas off and run it like a single-shot if I don't want to chase my brass at the range or buy a brass catcher. 5. The AR platform makes it comfortable to shoot, easy to put on optics, and very customizable; ie I could drop in the trigger I really wanted. 6. I don't have to baby it when handling or shooting. The flash hider protects the crown so I can ride with it “muzzle on floor” in the pickup. Its first outing was in a hellacious snow storm in the top of the Utah mountains. The gun got sopping wet and heavily snowed on yet ran fine; I should have taken a video. Sub 0 temps didn't seem to affect it on another outing; when the good mag was in. The dust cover should keep most mud, dirt, and river water out of the action when I strap it on the ATV this summer and fall. Don't get me wrong, the rifle gets cleaned and dried, and lightly lubed, but its going to have to earn its keep in a mountainous and desert area. It is not a safe queen. 7. It doesn't have much recoil; I'd guess it has about 11 ft-lbs (just a guess). 8. $1,640 otd is a lot of money for me, however, the Ruger cost less than the Sig 716 and is (in my book) equally good and weighs less. 9. It feels good to buy an American designed and produced fighting rifle when the product fits my application, is well made (thanks Matrix Aero), and the value is there.

john scholl wrote:
December 02, 2013

Can't wait to someday own one. I love all my Ruger firearms I have so far and I bet this wouldn't be an exception.

David wrote:
December 02, 2013

Shot mine for the first time yesterday, love it! With a new trigger I was very impressed with the accuracy!

Constance wrote:
December 02, 2013

Thu would have been a great birthday present

Robert East wrote:
December 01, 2013

FYI, one M.O.A. refers to One Minute of ARC not one minute of angle. At 100 yards it equals approximately 1 inch.

Larry Nutter wrote:
December 01, 2013

Wish list: SR-762 Rifle in .260 Remington with a 20' barrel. This is the chambering the military should be using. The 6.5mm has been battle tested for 100 years. Less recoil, much higher ballistic coefficient, more down range energy, better accuracy. FMJ military ammo is still a man stopper.

Frank wrote:
December 01, 2013

I purchased my SR 7.62 last month and am very pleased with the firearms performance shooting Winchester 147 grain .308 rounds. The Carbine's Iron Sights are perfect for 100 - 200 yards and the firearm has very little recoil. It feeds ammo and extracts empty casings in a heart beat. Nice balance and easy to clean. I'm satisfied.

Bill wrote:
December 01, 2013

I wish 2 things, One, is that I had this in Viet Nam instead of the M-16. Two, that I had enough money to afford one now. I'd love to own one of these. I'd probably retire my old 8mm Mauser for deer hunting and use this fine rifle.

jim wrote:
December 01, 2013

When will they have a version that can be bought in Colorado, since Hickenlooper banned large capacity magazines

DutchUncle wrote:
December 01, 2013

I NEVER could understand why they chambered a .223 (5.56) in the original M-16. I had NO knock down and the range sucked. Granted the recoil was light but so was the impact while our troops,,myself included, face the 308 (7.62) AK-47 from which there was NO hiding. But then again, it was selected by people who would NOT have to use it in battle to defend themselves either...Typical Gov't buy. I would loved to have seen a .243,,now THAT is a round.

Jake wrote:
December 01, 2013

I have had one for a week just won't shoot with my FN-AR has a long way to go it has be weighed measured and found wanting

Barry Simmons wrote:
December 01, 2013

How about a decent single shot version for us poor old Brits!

Mark Priebe wrote:
December 01, 2013

Nice looking specs look forward to get one in my hands

Greg Pitts wrote:
December 01, 2013

With a suggested retail at $2,000+ they can keep it. I wouldn't give $600.

Mark wrote:
December 01, 2013

Based on the comments so far, there are a lot of Dumb people out there. Good job Ruger on a good rifle. The s&w m&p10 is still going to be tough to beat though

Jim g wrote:
November 30, 2013

I realize it has a factory trigger, but groups over 1 inch+ are not something I'm looking for.

jeff rogers wrote:
November 28, 2013

I picked this up this week from my local shop 1,795. It felt extremely nice with little recoil, I am very plesed with my purchase and am confident that any one purchasing will be happy.

Ce`arr wrote:
November 26, 2013

7/08, 6.5 Lapua, 6.5.Grendel, - of all the things that could stoke an FN inColt's clothing - honestly you Yanks are so set on justifying the mistakes of yesterday you're a curse to the future.

hunter wrote:
November 26, 2013

A longer barrel and 243 260 358 options would be nice

R6600DH wrote:
November 26, 2013

This seems like a lot of money for a rifle that will not change to a 5.56 NATO upper. Granted it is a piston upper vs a DGI but it looks like my Colt LE901 with adapter is a better buy for the money.

emkay wrote:
November 26, 2013

Talyn, why would you want a 20 foot barrel???

LongbowTap wrote:
November 26, 2013

I just received two of these rifles and am very pleased that it is compatible with both the .308 and the 7.62 chamber pressures. I also plan using the Nikon M-308 scope on it. Put the M-223 scope on the SR-556 and it is an excellent combination. Ruger really came through with the piston rifles - much better than the early M-16s we used in the mid-60s.

Talyn wrote:
November 26, 2013

Would like to see a 20' barrel version.

7sniper3 wrote:
November 26, 2013

Have a M1A, yes it's heavy but gadgets won't win it. Good for you AR guys to get a better round.

normmm wrote:
November 26, 2013

accuracy looks good but would be interesting to have the velocities also since it's such a short barrel

Mike Nelson wrote:
November 26, 2013

Thank you Ruger! I've been waiting for this for YEARS!

Bob E wrote:
November 25, 2013

I've owned numerous Ruger rifles and all were excellent. This one should just good as always. Bob E.