IWA Outdoor Classics, the firearm industry’s largest trade show in Europe, has been postponed to later in 2020 due to novel coronavirus concerns. The announcement came last week, with the doors scheduled to open March 4, reflecting the growing apprehension and urgency to address the fact that large gatherings in high numbers—particularly those with international attendees—promote transmission of the virus. NürnbergMesse organized its first IWA show in 1974 and its growth mirrors that of the United States-based SHOT show, attracting more than 45,000 people last year to the Nuremberg, Germany, venue.
"We hope that the industry will understand the decision to postpone,” said Petra Wolf, Member of the Management Board of NürnbergMesse. “The aim of every exhibition has to be to create a special experience for exhibitors and visitors likewise and to enable networking and expansion of existing business relations. Unfortunately, this goal cannot be achieved under the current circumstances.”
IWA attendees come from nearly 200 countries every year and the trade show attracts more than 1,500 exhibitors. “We are aware of the great importance of the IWA for our exhibitors and visitors, all the more reason for us to put high pressure on the task to find the best possible alternative date for such an important event for our customers," Wolf said.
In addition, the date for Enforce Tac/U.T.SEC 2020—another NürnbergMesse annual that traditionally opens its doors on the heels of IWA—is also moving to an as-yet-to-be-determined date. Unlike IWA, which showcases enthusiast goods and services, its focus is the security equipment and products tailored for official agencies, law enforcement, armed forces and security. This annual trade show was established in 2012.
Original dates for the shows were March 4 to 5 and March 6 to 9 for IWA and Enforce Tac, respectively. New dates have yet to be announced.