Handguns > News

Smith & Wesson Introduces SD9 VE and SD40 VE

Smith & Wesson has combined value with desired features to in introducing the SD9 VE and the SD40 VE.

6/5/2012

Smith & Wesson has introduced two new handgun models for home and self-defense—the SD9 VE and the SD40 VE—that combine value with desired features.

"With the introduction of the new SD9 VE and SD40 VE pistols, we have taken the best features of the SD and Sigma pistols and evolved them into a new generation of firearms that meet our customers' requirement in terms of both functionality and price," said Mario Pasantes, Smith & Wesson's senior vice president of Marketing and Global Professional Sales.

Both SD VE pistols come with a lightweight polymer frame, and a two-tone finish stainless-steel slide with aggressive front and rear serrations and three white-dot sights. The SD VE has also been fitted with an ergonomic grip with aggressive texturing and an 18 degree point of aim. It has a textured finger locator above the trigger guard on both sides of the gun, and a Picatinny rail for lights and lasers.

The SD9 VE is available with either a 16+1 or 10+1 round capacity, while the SD40 VE is standard with either a 14+1 or 10+1 magazine capacity. Both pistols have an unloaded weight of 22.7 ounces and a width of 1.29 inches. With a 4-inch barrel and an overall length of 7.2 inches, both models are easily concealed for personal protection or home-defense. Each pistol comes with two magazines and the Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy for a suggested retail price of $379.

Comments

44 Responses to Smith & Wesson Introduces SD9 VE and SD40 VE

A McCray wrote:
November 30, 2014

I found a site where you can get 20 round mag for the sd40ve

alg wrote:
May 06, 2014

BUTLER CREEK 24222 UpLULA 9mm to 45ACP Magazine Speed Loader/Unloader

Buz501 wrote:
February 14, 2014

Have a S&W SD40 VE 14 rd double stack mag. Trouble loading 14 rds. Have any suggestions on what type of speed loader works the best

Brendan wrote:
February 06, 2014

Sw40f 15 round mags work perfectly and no rattle

billy blank wrote:
December 28, 2013

Purchased my sd40ve brand new at bass pro have had no problems its about 85 [%] accurate does rattle after 9 rounds in mag doesnt bother me though no jams i clean it every time i shoot it even if its 2 rounds or 200 ive shot 300 rounds through it no problems still knock on wood.

Luis Herrera wrote:
December 27, 2013

I got my SD9 VE back in March 2013 and have run about 3000a rounds since new. Any new ammunition is good on this pistol. Once tried reloaded ammo from freedom ammunition is and had issues with bullet loading and casings failing to eject. This is my first fire arm purchase and feels great. Rented other guns before but this gun is awesome.

John Walter wrote:
July 11, 2013

I got mine about a year ago and I love it.. For you older guys(like me)I recommend using a speed loader,, it makes the last 4 easy to stuff in the cliptomagazine....

Gabi wrote:
June 02, 2013

Got a SD9 VE at academy and fired 100 rounds and no issues on it and fit to my hand, nice design not heavy compare Ruger P95

TONY TYLER wrote:
May 15, 2013

Ive jus bought this gun and I must say this gun performs just aswell as Guns Thats cost $500+ FOLKS just cause Its expensive dont make it BETTER!!! NO jamming up shoots every pull which is what Its suppose to do right????Highly recommend this fire ARM (LIFETIMWARRANTY) SAYS IT ALL!!!!

xilvorn wrote:
May 14, 2013

I love my SD40VE! Better than a Glock! I like the rattle. It reminds me of a Diamondback! The rattle is a warning that the snake is about to strike!

Tim Pearce wrote:
April 14, 2013

I bought this weapon, on the same day I purchased Ruger's SR9. The smith and wesson simply out classes the ruger. EVERYONE should own an sd9ve! No problems with this firearm AT ALL!

Nickj wrote:
March 22, 2013

I bought my sd9ve about 6 months ago and was very impressed with this gun. out of the first 16 rounds i put 15 of them in a 2 in diameter around the bullseye from about 25 yards away, first shot wasnt great my fault not the guns. Ive ran atleast 500 rounds through this gun with not one failure yet and i havent had any of these probs wit the rattling mags both are fairly sound

Gdeep wrote:
February 21, 2013

In and out of the forums you see lovers and haters of the SW_VE version handguns. What is the commonality? We all have handguns. The preference is strictly up to the buyer. I researched the SW9VE before I bought it and knew there were some inherent perceived problems with trigger pull weight, ratteling magazines, sights not sighted properly, and rails-inner workings-springs not of the greatest quality. So I bought one for this purpose and this purpose only. Smith & Wesson made this firearm to accomodate the customers who were buying, shooting and supporting their brand. Here is what I found with my SW9VE. No rattleing magazine,trigger is no heavier than some other firearms I own, Sights are not sighted properly, rails-inner workings and springs made from stainless steel, or hardened steel or spring steel. I have since replaced the front and rear sights with Meprolight Tritium night sights, and bought an extra 16+1 magazine. If you want to really know what this gun is about and how much it does not suck go buy one or ask three guys at the next range you go to if you can shoot theirs. Price was a definate selling point so is long standing reliability. S&W saw a marketable firearm from the Glock-Block and made one of their own. So did toasty oats from cheerios....it all tastes the same to me. I am as proficient with my SWVE as I am with my Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II. Trigger weight is about the same. I say to the people that have never shot a SWVE model firearm, if you ever have to grab a SWVE series firearm for self defense and you live through it, come back and post a supportive response. Otherwise as cowboy bob used to say "If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all. Aim true, shoot straight, when its all done and said your only alive if you re-act quicker, are more accurate,and hit your target before the enemy does. Remember your training, what you train TO do is what you WILL do under stress.

tdean wrote:
February 10, 2013

I've issues with my mags rattling as well. I've read reviews and other threads where this has been brought up, and they all say it doesn't really affect the performance. I haven't shot mine a whole lot yet, but seem fairly please. The mags rattling is annoying, but works fine. I have read that the Sigma mags will fit. I have a friend who owns a sigma in 40 and borrowed one of his mags. The sigma mag DID NOT rattle, and DID work perfectly in my pistol. It slid right in and fed fine. So, I'm gonna buy some sigma mags and just keep the SD mags as back up. Just a little infor for anyone who cares.

ari wrote:
February 08, 2013

I have a 10-round magazine, but I have trouble stuffing in even 8 rounds. 10 is impossible. Am I doing something wrong? My fingers are not weak

dan t wrote:
January 24, 2013

just recently bought the sd40ve what a nice gun fist shot center of target from 30 yrds. shot 5 clips first time out in my back yard shooting range not one problem ,i love shooting this gun

Darryl wrote:
January 20, 2013

I have the all black SD9 with the home defense kit , that was released before this version was released. It is a great gun for price. Ive put close to a 1,000 rounds through it without a jam or misfire.

thomas wrote:
December 31, 2012

As far as the bullet jamming when you pull the slide back. Pull it back and let go like the book says and you will have no issue. When you keep holding the slide it happens.

David Knight wrote:
December 30, 2012

Rattles and jams?...Hum..Mine is fine. Smooth action and trigge pull. I am using truncated bullets, but I expect it would load smoothly with NATO rounds.

JohnnyThrust wrote:
December 30, 2012

If you guys are truely sticking clips in your gun then there is no wonder it is rattling. These pistols are magazine fed. I havent seen a clip fed weapon in as long as I can remember. Go get yourself a magazine and stick that in the pistol. That will cure the problem.

lucas eubanks wrote:
December 24, 2012

Very nice fire arm, this is my first pistol and it is a very good novice, beginner pistol . I like that it has minimal recoil, its acurate, and it is reasonably priced. And it carries that good ol' smith and wesson name!

Justin wrote:
December 17, 2012

Guys....just talked to S&W. They tried to blame the feeding problem on the type of bullet...so I asked about another brand I had previously shot n had the same problem. He said that would work...so I told him ive had trouble with all brands, he said send it in...im found out if i put 4 rnds in the mag it would chamber the first 3 smooth as butter...last one would get stuck. Low quality mags for sure...trading in this rock for a glock ASAP!!!

lord20mob wrote:
December 12, 2012

I have the sd9 and with the 10 and14 round mag neither of mine rattles or jams. I fire it bout 3times a week. I guess its just i make sure to before proper maintenance

Michael wrote:
December 12, 2012

Lance, I too, jumped on that Academy price. Quite simply too good to pass up. Fit and finish is what you what expect from a more expensive firearm. I looked very closely for machine mill marks and none can be found. Several years ago I would have scoffed at owning a Sigma, or a S&W for that matter. Now it seems Smith has really cleaned their act up. I have held a grudge against them for years when Slick Willie was in office. Last S&W I owned was the 5906. This pistol appears to be just as nice or nicer. For the price, It cannot be beat. The reviews I have read on these SD 40/9 pistols have folks comparing them as good as Glocks. Yeah, I am Glock fan, but moreover I gun fan. So I give this pistol a chance.

Lance R Carroll wrote:
December 12, 2012

Just bought an SD40. Awesome! FYI, Academy Sports has them for $299. SD9 also.

Chris wrote:
December 08, 2012

I have the sd40ve and it is very inaccurate its is sending stray rounds all over the place...sent it back to the factory they fired it and sent it back...very dissatisfied...I have been shooting for years and always held Smith and Wesson in high regard before this purchase

Jim Litch wrote:
December 08, 2012

SD40 VE nice gun $299 new, accurate with no malfunctions. Mags do rattle a bit. This gun does any thing a Glock will do, heck for $100 more than the price of a new Glock, i can get to of these (9mm & 40) S&W hit a home run with this model

Mark bland wrote:
December 07, 2012

Just bought one today and both mags rattle. Wonder if there is an after market mag out there somewhere.

Dmeadows wrote:
November 30, 2012

Both my clips rattle. Annoying, but that is the only thing I have found wrong with this gun. Solid feel, accurate shot, good price.

Donald wrote:
October 24, 2012

I have the sd40 be and love it. And my clips don't rattle.

riktalon wrote:
October 20, 2012

Armando, i have a SD9, no rattle when full magazine inserted with action closed, no rattle til magazine gets down to 6-7 rds. its got a fairly strong, but 100% reliable magazine spring

Armando wrote:
September 23, 2012

Kevo03, does the sd9 rattle when clips full?

Allen Morrison wrote:
September 23, 2012

Accurate, but rattles when Mag fully loaded, and issue with feeding rounds. Looks like a glock but doesnt perform as good. Still over all not bad.

Brad wrote:
September 23, 2012

SD40 VE Accurate gun. One jam out of 400 rounds fired. The clips rattle and I hate that. It sounds like I'm carrying a maraca in my holster. Sometime the gun doesn't chamber rounds properly. I wish I spent 80 extra and got a sig 2022

Kev03 wrote:
September 14, 2012

Got my SD9 VE at the gun show last mont. Was marked down about $80 from market price. I must say I'm highly pleased with the purchase.I've put about 500+ rounds through it and find it accurate, trigger pull is smooth and minimal recoil. It's definitely worth the purchase and an upgrade to my first gun. Such a hooked novice!

Seth wrote:
September 14, 2012

I just bought the SD40VE the other day and I have only fired 10 rounds through it so far. But it seems to be a great gun for the price. I also have a ruger and a glock and this SD40VE is just as accurate as either one of them. I really like this gun, I would recommend this gun for anyone who's lookin to buy a pistol.

Ronnie enochs wrote:
September 09, 2012

Iv got the A.R15 s&w. The the s&w sw9ve and the 40. Just went out and got the new s&w sd40ve. Love it but having the raddle in the clip makes me mad. Plus when I pull back to load the bullet into the chamber it gets stuck at a angle and I have to force it in. Never had any problem with any of my guns and i also oiled everything and US recommend s&w bullets. Im calling s&w tomorrow.

Larry Kirker wrote:
August 29, 2012

I just bought the SD40 VE and my magazines rattle when I load the 9th round. I googled this because I thought there might be a problem. Now I am disappointed, but relieved at the same time.

JW wrote:
July 17, 2012

I just bought the SD40VE and I love it! Accurate and fun to shoot. My only complaint is both magazines rattle when full. I contacted S&W and they told me all double stack magazines rattle but I could send them in and they would see what they could do. How lame!! I'm going to order new springs from Wolfe and see if that helps. Still a great pistol for the price!!!

Aaron Labat wrote:
June 19, 2012

I have this weapon in the 9mm. Great price of about $340 for both 9 and 40. Just as accurate as my much more expensive Sig 228.

Frank wrote:
June 12, 2012

Looks just like the Sigma. I hope they improved the trigger. I have a Sigma and love everything about it except the trigger.

Man Of Cali wrote:
June 10, 2012

The 10+1 is for those of us who live in Communist states. Kalifornia, case in point. Otherwise they are the same gun.

0ldc9fan wrote:
June 10, 2012

14 rounds for the 40 and 16 rounds for the 9. The 10 round mags on both are built with a restricter so to speak.No differanc in weight unloaded.

paladinmer wrote:
June 08, 2012

I don't understand the difference between the 14+1 and 10+1 models, considering the weight is the same. Is there an extended mag on the 14+1? Different width? S&W site doesn't explain it either. Strange. Looks good and great price though!