Rifles

NRA Launches iPad Edition of American Rifleman

NRA has launched a digital version of its 127-year-old flagship publication for iPad through the NRA MAGAZINE app in the Apple Store.

4/25/2013

American Rifleman, NRA's 127-year-old flagship publication, and American Hunter, the world's largest all-hunting magazine, have undergone digital makeovers and are available immediately for iPad users through the new NRA MAGAZINES app in the Apple App Store. Using the latest digital publishing software, NRA is now building American Rifleman and American Hunter magazines especially for the iPad.

"We are committed to providing the best reading experience possible for our members," said Joe Graham, Executive Director of NRA Publications. "The new iPad editions are designed to be convenient, easy to use and, most importantly, fun to read. Readers will notice immediately that the digital magazines have the same look and feel as the print magazines they receive now, but I think they'll appreciate and enjoy all of the additional interactive content you can only get on an iPad. Whether you prefer print, digital or both, we can now provide the very best reading experience in the shooting and hunting market."

The new digital magazines feature the same expert articles and bold graphic design as their award-winning print counterparts, plus bonus content like extra photos, extra sidebars, videos, computer graphics and other interactive features not found anywhere else.

For a limited time, all NRA members who currently receive their magazines in print will be able to download the iPad editions. Members who currently receive their magazines digitally on their desktops will continue to do so, but access to the iPad version will also be included.

To get the new iPad editions of American Rifleman and American Hunter, simply download the NRA MAGAZINES app for free from the Apple App Store. Once downloaded, tap the app and enter your NRA membership number and last name. Your membership number is located on your NRA membership card below your name or on the right-hand side of the mailing label on your print magazine. Membership information can also be verified by contacting NRA Member Services at 1-877-NRA-2000.

Upon verification, the magazine you currently receive as part of your NRA membership will be displayed (only American Rifleman and American Hunter are available for the iPad at this time). Tap "download" to have the digital magazine delivered directly to your iPad and start enjoying all of the exciting new interactive features.

As Official Journals of the NRA, American Rifleman and American Hunter are available exclusively to NRA members. To join the NRA and start receiving either of the new digital magazines as part of your member benefit, please visit http://membership.nrahq.org or call 1-877-NRA-2000. For more information about the American Rifleman and American Hunter iPad editions, please visit: www.nrapublications.org/faqs.php.

Comments

31 Responses to NRA Launches iPad Edition of American Rifleman

Hudini wrote:
September 28, 2014

Come on guys, please fix the app for iOS8.

Ron hawkins wrote:
September 23, 2013

Following up. shooting Sports USA HANDLES PORTRAIT AND LANDSCAPE JUST FINE. Isn't SSUSA an Nra entity?

Ron Hawkins wrote:
September 23, 2013

Landscape mode. Every other reading app I use has the auto rotate feature. Did nra pick one that doesn

Robert Dart wrote:
August 03, 2013

I like looking at a specific item in the electronic version but I emphatically want my hard-copy to enjoy.

Gary Carter wrote:
May 24, 2013

Unfortunatly if I have to give up my print copy I would not be interesed in the app. I have lost count of how many NEW MEMBERS I have got to join the NRA by sharing my American Rifleman magazine with them but I know it has been over 100 or more. As others have said, I can not get apps from apple, google play or the android store. I have a low cost android 4.2 tablet and get my apps from an app store called SlideMe or Getjar (not sure of the spelling) Please let us know if we will loose our print copy if you make your app avalible to off brand tablet owners.

William Dornenburg wrote:
May 23, 2013

Wish I could log in.

Rodger Petre wrote:
May 23, 2013

Love it on my iPad.

Gary King wrote:
May 22, 2013

It appears you have to sign in every month and enter all yours info, NRA # and password to get the latest digital magazine . Why can't it auto download when you open the app ?

Jim L wrote:
May 21, 2013

I like the digital edition but it would be nice not to have to sign back in every time I want to download or get bounced out while a download is happening.

Barry Vance wrote:
May 18, 2013

After recently receiving an ipad as an early Father's Day gift, I reluctantly signed up for the digital Rifleman. I love it. It's bright & crisp, and I love the extras[;] videos, etc, that only a digital format can provide. The tactile feel of paper in hand CAN be successfully replaced by digital, especially when the 'bottom line' content and presentation is greatly improved. Thanks.

John Carter wrote:
May 12, 2013

Disappointed that I cannot enlarge the print and photos with a swipe of the fingers. Tell me how.

Paul Fowler, LifeMember wrote:
May 12, 2013

Had computer crash, lost my digital issues. I have searched in vain to regain access to my subscription? How can l get print issues or sign up for digital issues?

Cliff ruddy wrote:
May 09, 2013

I just realized that this app does not have a search. Every month I would scan my magazine into a PDF file. I then could type a word or phrase to find what I wanted within the magazine . Can it be added?

Cliff ruddy wrote:
May 09, 2013

I am really happy to get the digital magazine as I would never read the paper version and would have to cut the binding and scan it every month. Will you be canceling the monthly mailed copy? I do not require it now that I can download.

Steve wrote:
May 09, 2013

One word: Android

PhilW wrote:
May 04, 2013

Is American Rifleman going to be released in Android format? A PDF version would work also, and is easier to manage on various devices.

Tim wrote:
May 04, 2013

I am a life member and would like to receive the magazine on my android powered device for free since I am a life member.

Ken wrote:
May 03, 2013

As a life member, would like to have access to past issues on Ipad. Would like to see all various issues like SSUSA and others for this too. Thsnks

Bobby Adams wrote:
May 01, 2013

are you going to add previous magazines?

Bob Walker wrote:
April 30, 2013

What about a Kindle edition?

Noah W. wrote:
April 29, 2013

I see that questions are being answered here as I sent an emai, and have not gotten a response. I as well am a little confused with the 'limited time' for those that prefer print. Is this going to roll over to switching print users to only iPad? I understand the greater cost in printing and mailing versus online but for various reasons people prefer the print edition. I'm not sure why the App would be offered for 'a limited time' to print subscribers. Once the App is being produced, it cost the NRA nothing to allow print users access & there are sometimes, as others mentioned as well, that the App would be handy while still receiving the print issue. Also, many if not most other magazines, offer a choice of both print & digital not only one or the other, as mentioned in terms of cost once there are many digital subscribers, allowing print users to access the digital version has no negatives & a nice positive of being able to access online sometimes. I hope you can please clear up the confusion as it seems many print users (including myself) are a little wary of signing up for the iPad App, with the very unclear 'limited time only' phrase used for print users. Thanks for your time & keep up the great work, noah

Glip wrote:
April 29, 2013

Well done with the App & the digital magazines. I would, as others have said, prefer landscape mode for the magazines.

Dave wrote:
April 29, 2013

Is there any hope for an Android Tablet version in the future?

Leigh Anne wrote:
April 29, 2013

Where is the Android App??

Frank wrote:
April 29, 2013

Any chance of an Android version for those of us who do not use Apple?

Rob B wrote:
April 28, 2013

I much prefer "print" versions, though I do find it occasionally useful to have a digital version available AS PART of my regular print subscription for some of my other periodicals for when I'm on the road. If I can get both, great. If I can only get one or the other, as was the option available on the membership pages, I'll stick with "Print". So what is it? One, the other, or both? (Benefactor & ILA Member)

ZJ wrote:
April 28, 2013

Hi, Do you have back copies available on the Ipad version?

Drew wrote:
April 26, 2013

Hello, it looks great. But will I still receive the print version?

Eric knight wrote:
April 25, 2013

I like it, now if the warrior was available, that'd make it even better

Justin McDaniel, NRA Publications wrote:
April 25, 2013

Hi Stephen, Unfortunately, the digital magazine is not available in landscape mode. It will only display in portrait. Thank you for trying out the new iPad edition--we hope you enjoy it!

Stephen Gund wrote:
April 24, 2013

I guess I don't know how to put the mag in landscape mode. Unless that is not possible. I read books and other mags in landscape is it available? Steve