Shotguns > Semi-Auto

Akdal MKA 1919 12-Gauge Shotgun

This unusual Turkish semi-auto shotgun offers features and controls similar to an AR-15 rifle.

5/8/2012

RAAC is known for providing Saiga shotguns to American shooters. This year, it is expanding its line of semi-auto shotguns to include the recently imported Akdal MKA 1919 shotgun. While the Saiga models are based on an AK rifle action, the MKA 1919 is designed to mimic the look and most of the operations of an AR-15.

Although the MKA 1919 is new on the U.S. shooting scene, it's not a brand new gun. Ucylidiz Arms AS, located in Istanbul, Turkey, has been producing this gun since 2007. In fact, it’s been adopted by the Turkish military and police for use along with their M16A4 and M4 rifles. This means the Akdal has already been fully field tested with the new-design kinks and problems worked out over the last five years.

Shotgun Features
The Akdal MKA 1919 is a semi-auto, 12-gauge shotgun featuring a conventional, self-adjusting gas-operated action. It’s designed to look and handle like an AR-15 in order to reduce training time and preserve muscle memory when switching over from an AR rifle. The 19.7-inch chrome-lined barrel is threaded for removable chokes. A cylinder bore, modified and full choke tube set are provided with a choke case and wrench.

The factory sights consist of a polymer, AR-style fixed front sight and a polymer carry handle with a built-in height-adjustable flip sight. The upper receiver is made of aluminum alloy and features an integral flattop Picatinny sight rail. Both the front and rear sights can be easily removed in order to install competition or hunting optics. The lower receiver is a single polymer piece incorporating the grip and shoulder stock. A rubber recoil pad and sling mounts are included.

While the dimensions of the barrel and magazine make it obvious the MKA 1919 is not an AR rifle, most of the controls reflect this popular rifle's design. The bolt release, magazine release and manual safety are all shaped and located in AR fashion. The manual safety functions properly but it feels soft. It would be nice to have a more distinctive "click" and sense of it locking in place as it changes position.

The charging handle, instead of being located on top of the receiver in AR fashion, is attached to the bolt and projects from the right side of the receiver as would be expected with most semi-auto shotguns. The MKA 1919 will safely chamber and fire factory 2 3/4-inch or 3-inch shotshells loaded with birdshot, buckshot or slugs. Ammunition is stored in removable five-shot steel magazines that hold the bolt open after the last round is fired. The gun arrives with one magazine for 2 3/4-inch shells and a second for 3-inch shells. This gun is available in matte black or with a hunting-friendly camouflage finish.

While the MKA 1919 looks a good deal like an AR-15, disassembly shows it to be a semi-auto shotgun at heart. A thread-off hand guard secure cap is loosened to remove the polymer hand guards and expose the recoil and piston assembly. The annual, or ring-type, gas piston and the return spring are fitted around a support tube located below the barrel. Removing the knurled lock nut, gas regulator nut and gas regulator spring allows the barrel to be pulled free of the upper receiver for cleaning like many other shotguns. Because none of the moving parts related to the action are located in the shoulder stock, this shotgun could be fitted with a six-postion or custom stock. It would be nice for smaller framed shooters like me to have the option of a movable stock in order to adjust the length-of-pull. Hopefully this is an option the company will offer in the future.

Form & Function
I have to admit that the first time I saw the MKA 1919 on a showroom floor, I was a bit skeptical. Sometimes the attempt to merge two popular designs into one new product creates less than positive results.

But once I actually got the MKA 1919 into my hands at the range, my concerns quickly evaporated. The finish is good and all the metallic and polymer parts are fitted properly. Although the gun is lightweight, the recoil with a variety of sporting and defensive loads proved to be smooth and manageable. The trigger breaks crisply with no signs of creep. The magazines lock tightly into place and eject properly. The shorter barrel and good balance make the shotgun comfortable to swing for skeet shooting. I found that by looking over the top of the rear sight and using the front sight like a traditional bead sight , it was easy to break clays during a casual round.

The shotgun ran well with Remington Shur Shot No. 8 Heavy Dove Loads. I did experience a single failure to eject during the first 25 rounds of birdshot. The manufacturer recommends at least a three to four box break in period for birdshot loads. Since there were no other malfunctions during this portion of the test, this one failure can be written off as part of breaking in the gun.

With the cylinder bore choke installed, the shotgun was put through some defensive shooting tests. Winchester's new PDX1 Defender segmented rifled slug functioned beautifully. It was easy to cut 2-inch groups into targets at 25 yards from a standing position. With the target moved up to 7 yards, Federal Premium 9-Pellet 00 Buckshot loads produced 4-inch groups. At this same distance, Hornady's Varmint Express 24-Pellet No. 4 Buckshot punched devastating 3- to 4-inch ragged holes into the cardboard targets.  All of the defensive loads fired and ejected without any problems.

Final Thoughts
The time on the range with this shotgun was positive and enjoyable. I handed the MKA 1919 to several of the staff members who work at the range where I conduct testing and they liked it as well. The mix of AR and semi-auto shotgun features balance out well to create a very workable, flexible shotgun. The Akdel MKA 1919 can fill a variety of shot-gunning rolls. Hunters will find this gun ready to go to work out of the box, and those looking for a defensive or competition shotgun will find plenty of reasons to like it as well.

Manufacturer: Akdal Arms
Barrel Length: 19.7”
Overall Length: 40.5”
Height: 7.5”
Weight: 6.5 lbs. unloaded
Capacity: 5+1 Rounds
Chokes: Removable, Full, Modified, and Cylinder Bore Provided
Accessories: One 2 3/4-Inch Shell Magazine, One 3-Inch Shell Magazine, Three Choke Tubes With Case and Wrench, Sling Mounts, Owner’s Manual
Suggested Retail Price: $699.95 (Black), $799.95

Comments

33 Responses to Akdal MKA 1919 12-Gauge Shotgun

Randellholland wrote:
March 01, 2014

Just bought at gunstore semi used ,, looks unshot 1 mag , I choke , nothing else ... 400.00 it got dark shot twice no xtr action birdshot ..oh did have real single point ar sling ,.& a great pachmayr excillarator recoil pad added wish me luck got 10 boxes turkey shot and steel shot

charles h wrote:
December 04, 2013

I recently purchased my 1919 from shooters world I Tampa. First time out the 5 rd mag could be removed without using release button, took it back and exchanged mag. 2nd time out the 10 rd mag fell out on every shot. Shooting World sent it back for repair. Been over 5 weeks still no gun. Bum deal all the way around!!!

Michael P wrote:
June 07, 2013

We have been selling this gun for over a year now, and the latest versions(XD) are great. They put a lighter recoil spring in the gun and it will shoot light loads out of the box. Same mag will shot 3" or 2 3/4", same with the factory 10 rd mag. I also do the mods on the gun, and they sell like crazy. Give us a call if interested in a mod gun. 7192691141

Mark wrote:
June 03, 2013

I'm afraid I have a less than stellar inital impression - bought my new 1919 last week and fired it this past weekend. The gun stove piped even mag loads, the 10 round mag I bought falls out of the gun upon firing, and the charging handle FELL OUT of the gun while firing - I was able to find it in the grass and reinsert it - and it fell out again. Planning to call the importer today and ask some questions...

PeteG wrote:
May 18, 2013

I have had mine close to a year now. I love this gun. I need a tactical soft case with pockets that will hold the 10rd mags. Any sugestions?

Dave wrote:
April 22, 2013

You can buy these from Centrfire Systems out of Kentucky for 699 - Comes with 2 5 round mags but they sell 10 rounders separately

Glen wrote:
April 08, 2013

I've now shot over 500 rounds from my MKA 1919. I and everyone I've ever handed it to to shoot love it. I bought a couple of 10-round after-market mags for it and other than making sure they seat correct, they work great. My only complaint is the softness of the safety and the need to tighten the lower receiver bolt (which is easy to do except I have to buy a 6mm hex socket).

Alec wrote:
March 23, 2013

Illegal in NY State? I think so.

Mike G wrote:
March 19, 2013

Just picked up my MKA 1919, and the only question that I have is what aftermarket choke tubes are available? I need to know the thread pattern (equivalent manufacturer) so that I can look for extended turkey choke tube

mike wrote:
March 12, 2013

U should not shoot slugs out of a 1919.

Tom wrote:
January 28, 2013

Love my mka 1919. So does my 12 year old. Does not kick upward like other 12 gauges. All shells work fine. Remington shells seem to work best. Traded my old ak for it. Very glad I did! Mine is new so I'm just breaking it in. Light, comfortable and fast shooting.

trucker wrote:
January 27, 2013

Can u use the m4/ar15 lower or just buy the mka 1919 upper and attach to your m4/ar15

Todd wrote:
January 19, 2013

My wife & I just picked up our second 1919 this week. We got our order in at CTD just before prices spiked and all stock is now gone everywhere. Love this shotgun. Works perfectly. I also received a half dozen 10 round mags from Arms of America just before everything was gone three weeks ago, so I'm set. To the poster who asked about the 5 round mags, one is for 2-3/4 shells & the other is for 3". The 5 round mags for the later production guns work with either length shell.

Wally wrote:
January 14, 2013

None at cheaperthandirt todat

rexx11 wrote:
January 13, 2013

@ mac 10 cheaperthandirt.com has them

Mac10 wrote:
January 09, 2013

Where the heck can I order one? Everyone seems to be out of stock

Pete wrote:
October 19, 2012

What are the changes of a 20 GA? I'm partial to since my other 2 shotguns are 20GA's plus I don't have to buy various shells. (12,410, etc)

Rich wrote:
October 18, 2012

Bought mine and shot it last Monday. I had no malfunctions and fired 150 rounds, including light dove loads. The recoil is less than a pump shotgun but not as soft as my Beretta 391 Extrema, but not harsh or hard either. Recoil on the light loads was minimal. It is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. I plan on using mine to hunt pigs with 00 buck shot. Used the Beretta and found it was too long and hard to swing quickly. I LOVE this shotgun because it feels like the AR 15 I have been training with. I only wish the fore end felt more substantial. I will be buying one made of aluminum in the future. It also needs a 10 round magazine. A fantastic dependable magazine fed shotgun. All in all I rate this as 8.5 out of 10, because of the extra tools needed to remove the bolt for cleaning. Yes I do recommend this shotgun and am very happy I bought it.

jhar wrote:
October 01, 2012

What is the difference in the two magazines for the mka 1919? The 2 3/4 and 5 inch look and measure the same.

Mike wrote:
September 11, 2012

I'm with factfireamrs.com and converting the mka1919 with the A4 style stocks,922(r) compliant.

Jacques wrote:
August 22, 2012

I purchased one today and I have to say...WOW! I have several AR platforms and this is actually the first shotgun I've personally owned. I'm hands down impressed by this weapon. As a typical shotgun it tosses out target and birdshot load like expected but once I nailed my target at 50 yards with slugs with amazing accuracy on open sights I almost peed myself :) I give this weapon 2 thumbs up!!!

Joe Wildy New Zealand wrote:
July 17, 2012

Just got one, very light, ergonomic, reliable. I am very pleased. Well worth the money. I also have a Saiga12 and Safir Arms T14. The Akdal 1919 is a revolutionary design. Recommend to all.

USAF Security Forces wrote:
June 20, 2012

Just got back from a three week excursion in the wilderness on Kodiak Island Alaska. I took a Desert Eagle .50 AE and the 1919. I didn't take any cleaning equipment. It was rainy and muddy. The 1919 functioned flawlessly as did the Desert Eagle. I used 3inch double aught buckshot and 3 inch one ounce slugs. This gun is well worth the money for whatever you decide to use it for.

kamilo wrote:
June 11, 2012

Also check Safirarms T 14 .410 AR platform semiauto shotguns and uppers at www.ar15.tk .They can be mounted upon any milspec .223 lower and look and feel more like an AR.

Gerald wrote:
May 15, 2012

Neither fish nor foul Humm....

Tim R wrote:
May 15, 2012

Could the upper be mounted onto a milspec lower and function as a single shot?

mark wrote:
May 14, 2012

Sounds marvelous since Idon,t hit anything unless it,s a 12 gauge.

Lars wrote:
May 14, 2012

Looks interesting. Would have liked the review to include slug shooting results for folks in shotgun only deer hunting areas.

rsoMark wrote:
May 10, 2012

Can't wait to show up for a round of sporting clays with one of these.

Jesse wrote:
May 09, 2012

Looks and sounds great.. i hope they make a bigger magazine for it.

Thomas R. Campbell wrote:
May 09, 2012

Firebird Precision is doing a lot of these. Check it out on facebook and BrianEnos.com.

Shwell wrote:
May 09, 2012

I agree with John.. My AR platform is anything but Stock at this point. Gotta get my hands on one to make sure it is for me.. the Hunt starts now.

May 09, 2012

Like it though I hope there will tons of 3rd pardy stuff. I would want the MIKA 1919 to fit me as well as my AR-15